Help deciding on which iMac options

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Goldenstar, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Goldenstar macrumors newbie

Hello

I am currently looking to replace my Mid 2010 27 inch iMac with a new iMac 27 Inch version.

Mainly this is due to some components starting to fail (HDD and possibly the GPU).

I use my iMac for general work often multi tasking between many applications and manipulating large files, and occasionally run VM ware for some windows tasks.

The only game I play on the machine is World of Warcraft as I have a Xbox One I use for other games.

I think I have decided due to the 5K display skimping on the GPU is not a good idea so most likely will go with the M395 unless there is a compelling reason not to.

What I am struggling more on is if I should update the processor from the i5 to i7 and if I am likely to see any benefit as will not be doing much video editing.

Thanks for any comments of thoughts.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

You will see a big bonus from the hyperthreading of the i7 for running multiple VMs, however I would put your money into storage first.

You want at least the 2TB fusion for it's 128GB SSD, although as you say you move lots of large files, you may be much better off with a pure SSD solution and a raid system of external disks for files.

3. jjduru macrumors member

A macbook pro 15". If you need a bigger screen attach an external monitor to it. It's cheaper this way.

4. Goldenstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the responses.

I have a 2013 MBP already :) but like my iMac as my main and use my MBP when need something portable

On the HDD side I was already looking at the 2TB Fusion drive.

5. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

If you are looking to save some money you could go the Refurb route. I doubt anyone but a pro photographer or videographer would notice the difference in color gamut. From what it sounds like you mostly use your Mac for general purposes, you would be absolutely fine with the base configuration with the 2 TB Fusion if you go new.

6. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I can only speak of what I* might do - I would go with the i7 and get some 3rd party RAM for at least 16 gigs. I mention this with respect to using VMs. As for drive size, depending on how you do things you might get what you can afford now with the intent to add via USB3 or TB an external drive (SSD perhaps).

Presently, I run a VM of Win7, have one for Ubuntu and the above is what I use. I find it works well enough though it is not THE fastest kid on the block. Within the VM, I use some apps that are quite CPU intensive and thus the i7 really comes into play while leaving the OSX side fairly usable.

7. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

That's what I did; I got 16GB and added it to the 8GB already in there for 24GB.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Go for the i7, it will definitely help and if you're running VMs, then upgrade the ram to 16GB. Also think about the SSD over the Fusion drive as that will improve overall performance as well.

I have the M395/2TB 2015 iMac and its great, I opted for the 2TB Fusion drive because storage volume over storage speed was my mine criteria and one that I did not want consider using external storage. For my needs I wanted sufficient internal storage for my data, but then I'm not looking to edit videos.