Help deciding the value of my MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dannster, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannster macrumors regular

dannster

Hi guys,

I've heard there's a chance Apple may release new MacBook Pro's or revised versions so I'm looking to sell my current MBP on eBay but I'm not sure on the value so if someone could help, I'd appreciate it!

I bought the 2.26GHz 13" MBP in mid-2009 (few days after release), for about £950 I think, upgraded the hard drive to an Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD and the RAM to Crucial 4GB last week and it's in perfect condition.

I was thinking £1000, too steep?

2. heliuscc macrumors member

way too steep

I'd keep the SSD and put in the stock HDD and hope for maybe £650, maybe less. Look at the price on the refurb store (about £749) for a stock 2.26, then £60 for memory, so £809 for a new refurb with full warranty. I'd keep it for another year. Applecare may add some more value

3. CoolHotCold macrumors member

+1

I'd defiantly do it before Apple announces the refreshed lineup before a ton of old generation Macbook's arrive on the ebay scene.

(also try gumtree)

But yea, put in stock HDD market it with 4GB's memory and hope for a £650 in ideal circumstances.

4. Paul B macrumors 6502

+1 for putting the HDD back in. Then you could probably get £700 for it if it has 4GB RAM and is in "perfect" condition as you claim. Check completed auctions on eBay for a better idea.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Don't you think people are already doing this. I suspect ebay is currently getting flooded with current/prior model MBPs even as we speak. I think most people look to sell before any scheduled announcement.

6. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

You're assuming the majority of current owners even realize Apple is about to release a new MBP model. The floodgates usually open right after the announcement. The best time to sell is right before any announcement when only few know about it.

7. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

8. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I second that.

9. nj-mac-user macrumors 6502

nj-mac-user

The best thing you can do is watch a few MBP models on ebay exactly like yours and see what they sell for. Average it out and that'll give you a good idea of what it's worth since it's only worth what someone will pay for it. If you're planning on including your upgrades, just cut the current costs of the upgrades in 1/2 or 3/4 and add that to whatever your model sells for.

10. dannster thread starter macrumors regular

dannster

11. CoolHotCold macrumors member

12. gonewestcoast macrumors member

Congrats.

Of course, if Apple doesn't release a new one this week, what do you do now? :)

13. CoolHotCold macrumors member

Get a tablet?

but any revisions of a macbook/pro/pad will most likely be out in march

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Did that come with Apple Care ? Because saying it had a one year warranty isn't exactly correct if it was purchased June 2009.

15. quadG5guy macrumors member

This is a silly statement, no? The value of any given item is whatever price a buyer is willing to pay. So what better tool than ebay to help you determine the value? Ebay works using a bidding system, where potential buyers input whatever price they are willing to pay. The highest of these becomes the sale price and establishes the value of the item.

If you want to know what other similar items have recently sold for, ebay has a search function with an option for "completed listings only". This will show you the final sale price on all similar notebooks, which will help give you a rough idea of what you can expect from yours.

16. gonewestcoast macrumors member

Now that's been the subject of some debate for a little while now... :)

17. jodr macrumors member

I could see them announcing a new product tomorrow to be released in March, but do they really ever announce upgrades to a product line in advance? Wouldn't that just temporarily destroy sales?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.