Help Deciding Which 15" retina macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Macmark93, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Macmark93 macrumors member

Macmark93

Hi, Okay so i am in a bit of debate about the retina macbbok. Originally I was planning on buying a non retina macbook. However after been told that the SSD can be upgraded on all retina models I am now wanting the retina if this is true. Can anyone confirm this btw?

If this is true, I was going to buy a model with 256gb ssd but as i am on a very tight budget and as i am a music producer this would be limiting and this model is at the top of my budget as i ideally want 16Gigs of ram also. I would plan to upgrade this anyway in the future when hopefully 3rd party SSDs become more afordable.

Now does anyone else think it would be better me buying the macbook with the lower capacity SSD and just upgrading it in time when i have the money. i belive tle lowest is something like 128GB but is in my budget for now, as i would only end up upgrafing the 256GB if i had it.

Also an additional question, has anyone bought a mac of Jigsaw24? if so what was your experience with them?

Thanks, Mark.

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I think you need to take another look at the apple store.

At the moment there are no third party ssds compatible with the late 2013 and the 2014 retina macbook pros. They may well turn up in the future but at the moment there are none available.

The 15 inch macbook pro only currently comes in 2 ssd sizes 256gb and 512gb as stock sizes, they both have 16 gb of Ram and the 512 has a faster processor and the 750M GPU (you seemingly do not need this for your stated use).

You seem to be looking at the 13 inch machines not the 15 inch. The 13 inch now all come with 8gb of Ram. To be honest unless you are using VM's and/or lots of apps at the same time then 8gb will be enough. 256gb is tight but will be fine with external storage for your media, USB 3 is fast enough to work from external disks.

3. nudoru macrumors regular

Transcend's JetDrives are the upgrade you're thinking about - not sure if they fit the newer MacBook's. But check into it - if they don't fit now, I'm sure their working on a fix.

http://www.transcend-info.com/apple/jetdrive/

They also have 64 and 128GB models that sit in the SD Card slot flush with the case - good for a little extra space.

4. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

As stated there isn't currently an ssd upgrade available for the 2013/2014 models. It will come in time so it depends on how long you could make do with 256. Do you need a 15 inch model? It sounds like storage is your biggest concern and you could get a 13 inch i7 8gb of ram and 512SSD for 1599 in the refurb store.

If you want the 15 inch model, I'd just get the base model 256 and make do with external storage until an aftermarket ssd is available.

5. Macmark93 thread starter macrumors member

Macmark93

Thanks Guys, yeah the 13"s do have great bang for buck, but i just came from one and the 15"s are just more practical for me with the display size. The 13" is just a tad to small for me .

Yeah i agree i am going witt the 15" 256GB and aid storage with a external drive. Also belive it or not 8Gb of ram has cauesd me problems before. Mainly when using logic I have roughly 10 plugins runnning and my 13 was a 8Gb and ive had logic cut out with a error message regarding memory . when i upgraded to 16GB it was fine.