help deciding...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by piper166, Mar 22, 2012.

1. piper166 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm new here. I know the basic differences between the Air and Pro but I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on which to buy. I keep getting different recs from different people.

I need a computer that will allow me to edit pictures and videos (for personal use) and efficiently run MS Office for business use. If anyone is familiar with DeltaView/Workshare, I will need to run that as well (I'm a lawyer). Will also need to run citrix or something similar for working remotely.

I prefer the 13" size as I am used to working on my POS Dell Latitude.

I am wondering whether I should (i) get a 13" Air, (ii) get a 13" Pro or (iii) wait for the new Pro to come out.

I should note that I DESPERATELY need a new computer. This Dell is a joke. I think I would be ok waiting a few weeks for the new Pro but I can't really afford to wait months. Plus I'm worried that once it does come out, it will be out of stock and I will have to wait even longer.

Moreover, a friend at Apple can get me a 15% friends and family discount - not sure if he can get it on the new generation.

Thanks in advance!

2. simsaladimbamba

The 13" MBP should do fine, as you can upgrade its RAM to more than 4 GB.
    If you need more screen real estate you can always get an external monitor, unless you need to use its internal display with its 1280 x 800 pixel and if that is too low for you, then the 15" might be better.
    While the 13" MBA has quite a good resolution for its size, it is limited by its 4 GB maximum RAM.
    While 4 GB are okay, with Lion 4 GB is the workable minimum for it. And if you decide to upgrade to newer versions of OS X, you might hit a wall very soon.

3. piper166 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... but should I wait for the new generation or just go with the current model?

4. simsaladimbamba

The current models will more than suffice for your needs. No need to wait, and if the new models speak to you, you can always sell your Mac and get a newer one.
    You can also look here for better prices: Apple Online Store > Shop Refurbished Mac