Help Defragging my MBP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by alexjs77, Apr 6, 2008.

1. alexjs77 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I am currently searching for a program that can boot from CD to defrag and compact my hard drive in order to install boot camp. However, I've had problems since my MBP is newer (August 2007), and apparently, Apple hasn't released the DDK to any developers to boot the OS. I've tried Disk Genius 2 with no luck, any other options? Thanks!

2. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Uhh don't defrag Macs? You don't need to. Do you have Leopard? If so, you already have Bootcamp.

3. iTim314 macrumors 6502

Welcome to the forums.

Mac OS X's file system is much better at file management rather than Windows. Fragmentation on a Mac is generally an oxymoron. Only if you frequently manage really large files (we're talking multiple gigs for each file) you need not to worry about defragmenting.

Just simply use one of the Boot Camp utilities or Disk Utility to partition you're hard drive. It won't let you do anything that'll hurt itself, so don't worry.

4. alexjs77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, the problem is, I get a kernel panic whenever the Boot Camp App tries to partition out space on the HD. I looked around and found that if the drive doesn't have enough contiguous free space, it crashes. So, in order to successfully make the partition, I need to compact my existing data.

5. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

The best route is to use a disk cloning app like SuperDuper to clone your system drive to an external drive. Then you can repartition the system drive (just one partition to start fresh), and then clone back from the external drive. Then you can run Bootcamp and, unless you have other problems, it should work.

This is also a great way to defrag if you are into that sort of thing, without trusting some 3rd party defrag app to not eat your data. It is also is much faster than defragging.

6. alexjs77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, could I boot from the leopard disk, create a 12GB partition with Disk Utility, and then run Boot Camp? Or, should I delete the 12GB partition and then run Boot Camp immediately after?