HELP - Deleted a vital account

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jpbolat, Nov 22, 2009.

1. jpbolat macrumors newbie

I unfortunately deleted an account on my imac that had all my email, docs, etc. Can anyone help me retrieve?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can use Data Rescue (99USD) to scan your HDD and recover lost data. It will work most of the time, unless the data has been overwritten, so I recommend stopping any kind of write activities to your iMac's HDD.
    You might need to use another Mac or boot from an external HDD to scan your internal HDD.

3. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

There is still a chance with this kind of software... but you have to stop using this hard drive IMMEDIATELY.

In the worst case, if the information is very valuable and if you feel unconfident doing this yourself, there are specialized companies. But they charge expensive fees.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That depends how you deleted it. By default, when you delete an account in Mac OS X (through  -> System Preferences -> Accounts), the account's home folder and its contents will remain intact, and recovery is simply a matter of recreating the account. Is the home folder still there? Is there a Deleted Users folder inside /Users?

5. jpbolat thread starter macrumors newbie

All, thank you very much for the support. Yes, I deleted the account from System Preferences, so I will try to remake the account and check for a deleted users account. Thanks! Hope it works.

6. Tower-Union macrumors 6502

Tower-Union

Also, I will say yet again, backups man, BACKUPS!

7. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Do not remake the account, stop using the drive immediately. Invest in some recovery software and let it run.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

You're correct that the OP should check for a Deleted Users folder and see if the account in question has a disk image in there BEFORE recreating the account--if it's NOT in there, you don't want to be doing ANYTHING on the computer to maximize the chance of getting stuff back with data salvage software.

If, however, they DO have the data in the Deleted Users folder, then data recovery software is completely unnecessary, since the data is fine.

Also, like Tower-Union says, backup. Lots.

9. jpbolat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again. Can anyone recommend a good recovery software?

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

Take it you clicked "Delete immediately". Bummer.

Data Rescue 3:
    http://www.prosofteng.com/products/data_rescue.php

An earlier version of the app has saved files that nothing else would, and I've never heard a recommendation for a better piece of Mac software.. There's a free trial that lets you see what it'll be able to recover before you pay, too.

Good luck, and remember, the more you use the computer, the less likely you'll be able to recover files. Ideally, get a second Mac and mount the drive of the one with the deleted account via either Firewire Target Disk Mode, or pull the drive and use an external case/USB adapter.

11. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Do you not have a time machine backup?
    You should be able to re-install from a time machine backup that had that user account there.