HELP--deleted mach_kernel, won't boot

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ironsidephoto, Jun 15, 2008.

1. ironsidephoto macrumors member

so i was a dumbass and accidentally deleted mach_kernel. i don't know why it wasn't hidden in the first place. when i restarted i got a prohibitory (do not enter) sign flashing with a question mark and the apple logo.

is there a way to get this file back from the os x leopard disc?

This is my sister's laptop, and she hasn't backed ANYTHING up, so i'd really rather not reinstall the os if i don't have to.

white macbook, 1 gb ram, os x 10.5.3

2. The General macrumors 601

Do you have another Intel Mac around with 10.5.3 installed?

Plug her computer into another Mac with 10.5.3 using firewire, turn hers on and hold the T key. This will turn her laptop into an external harddrive. Now copy mach_kernel onto her computer. Try restarting her Mac.

I don't know for sure this will work, but I know copying the one from the Leopard disc won't work since you have 10.5.3 installed and your disc is not 10.5.3.

3. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

You can do an archive & install. Or you could put it in Firewire Target Disk Mode by pressing T while start up and then the hard drive asks like an ext. hard drive so you can hook it up to another Mac and back up the data and then reinstall OS X.

4. ironsidephoto thread starter macrumors member

i've hooked it up to my imac running 1.5.3 and copied the file, but no luck. any specific place to put it that i'm unaware of?

i forgot to mention--the reason this is happening is that the macbook started to not wake up when it went to sleep. my local apple store said that it was a logic board problem. before i sent it to apple, i saw a tip that was to reset the smc to try to fix it. i know i deleted the mach_kernel, but then i reset the smc. this might have something to do with it. . .

5. ironsidephoto thread starter macrumors member

eh, nevermind. i backed up her stuff and am reinstalling os x. thanks for your time, though.