Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
I helped my sister format and refresh an old MacBook Pro and I used my newer MacBook Pro to create a bootable USB drive.

Now that I'm finished I cannot seem to get rid of this download. I've changed the name, its sitting in the trash bin but it won't delete.

Ideas?

It says when I try to empty the trash, "The operation can’t be completed because the item “stupid OS that won't delete.app” is in use."

You can see the name change. LOL

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
When I select delete immediately it says:

"The operation can’t be completed because some items had to be skipped. For each item, choose File > Get Info, make sure “Locked” is deselected, and then check the Sharing & Permissions section. When you are sure the items are unlocked and not designated as Read Only or No Access, try again."

It won't let me Put it back or Remove Download.

Help!

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Several steps you can try:
1. Restart your Mac, then try to empty the trash.
2. Restart into Safe boot mode, then try emptying the trash.
3. Move that installer app out of your trash. Make a new folder, then drag that app into that folder. Put THAT in the trash, and try emptying the trash now.
4. Use terminal to empty the trash.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
3. Didn't work either. It at least allowed me to move the app out of the trash can.

4. Trying now

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 21, 2009
Here is the results of number 4 and it did not empty the trash. UGH!

todd@Todds-MBP ~ % sudo rm -R /Users/todd/Library/Mobile\ Documents/com\~apple\~CloudDocs/.Trash/stupid\ OS\ that\ won\'t\ delete.app

Password:

override rw-r--r-- root/wheel restricted for /Users/todd/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/.Trash/stupid OS that won't delete.app/Contents/SharedSupport/InstallESD.dmg?

rm: /Users/todd/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/.Trash/stupid OS that won't delete.app/Contents/SharedSupport: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/todd/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/.Trash/stupid OS that won't delete.app/Contents: Directory not empty

rm: /Users/todd/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs/.Trash/stupid OS that won't delete.app: Directory not empty

choreo

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
Same thing - twice. Only thing that worked for me was to download/install Cocktail app. That allowed me to delete the file in the trash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.