Help Deleting an Icon on Desktop

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by callenherring, Apr 18, 2012.

1. callenherring macrumors newbie

Little Help Please...

I have a new MacBook Pro, and accidentally dragged my numbers widget from my dashboard to my desktop. I was able to get it back in my dashboard, but now I cannot get it off my desktop. When I drag it into the trash, then try to open numbers, by clicking on the one in the dashboard, it won't let me because it says it is in the trash.

Little Help Please...

2. digitalhen macrumors regular

Sounds like the one on your desktop is the actual widget, the taskbar one is a shortcut to it, hence why it's in the trash when you try and run it.

Can you drag both to the trash and re-download it?

3. SEGeologist macrumors member

I would first remove all reference to numbers on the system. Re-download the dog file and re-install under applications.

4. simsaladimbamba

When you say Dashboard, do you mean the Dock, because I never seen a "Numbers widget"?

[​IMG]

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

5. callenherring thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, I don't think you did that. The normal behavior when an item is dragged off the Dock to the Desktop is for the image of a puff of smoke to appear when the mouse button is released. The icon is then gone. It should not stay on the Desktop.

How did you do that? If you drag an icon from a Finder Window or Desktop (essentially the same things) it will make a "copy" (the correct Mac term is an alias) in the Dock. The original item will not be simply moved to the Dock.

An icon in the Dock is just a "pointer" or "shortcut". It sounds like you did drag the actual application icon from the Desktop to the Trash. Hopefully your Mac is not lying to you. If the item is still in the Trash, rescue it and place it in your Applications Folder. Then the pointer/shortcut in the Dock should work.

7. callenherring thread starter macrumors newbie

Maybe this will help. I want to get rid of the one on the desktop.

Attached Files:

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, that really doesn't help. Let me try a different question...

When you open your Applications Folder, is the Numbers icon in there?

9. digitalhen macrumors regular

Like I said above, that's probably the actual application. Move it to the Applications folder, or delete and redownload it. That should do it.

10. callenherring thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, It does show up in the applications folder.

11. dakwar, Apr 21, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012

dakwar macrumors 6502

Do this:

1) Quite Numbers / make sure Numbers is not running.

2) In the Dock, right-click on the Numbers icon and select Options -> Remove from Dock.

3) Open your Applications folder.

4) Move Numbers from the Desktop to your Applications folder. If you're prompted to rename or replace an existing file, select to replace.

5) Empty your Trash.

6) From the Applications folder, launch Numbers (i.e. double-click the file that you just moved there from the Desktop).

7) Once Numbers is launched, right-click on its icon in the Dock and select Options -> Keep in Dock.

P.S. If you don't have a two-button mouse, right click = control+normal click.

12. callenherring thread starter macrumors newbie

13. dakwar macrumors 6502