Help designing Business Card. Designers?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by CalPoly10, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalPoly10 macrumors regular

I'm looking for help designing a logo/business card for a entrepreneur company I am trying to start up.

The company name is: [snip]

I want the card to be a glossy black, and the first line to be something like:

[snip]

The spots for contact information and such. I just need help with a logo and coloring. Any designers willing to jot something up? Thanks.

2. shecky Guest

shecky

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

To be clear, you are asking design professionals on MacRumors to do your cards for free?

C'mon - you're a professional, pony up for some professional work for your company. Develop a relationship with your local graphic designers... after all they will presumably be a significant portion of the [snip] customer base.

Otherwise,, you know what will happen? You'll hand someone in the design/print/video industry a card, and they'll smile and say thanks but they'll be thinking "Too f***'n cheap to get his card done properly..."

4. CalPoly10 thread starter macrumors regular

Not really, I am just asking for quick jots of ideas people come up with.

Figure I'd try to get some ideas together before I head over to one person to produce a bunch of cards for me.

I figure there will be more creative ideas coming from people here than from 1 designer.

5. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Ummm, work for free that most designers on here (not bashing all designers who post here just the ones who do it fast and for free:mad:) come up with quickly isn't even close to printable. Do yourself a favor and go find a professional and pay them a fair amount of money and you will be much better off.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Mmm.. sorry, but ideas is what a designer has to sell.

"just need a bit of help with logo and coloring"
    is like saying
    "I can do all of my own support, thanks, I just need a bit of free help with the security, network settings and the server configuration"

A designer's worst nightmare is a customer who comes in fixated on his own half-baked design idea.

Go and network in your community. Be prepared to pay a fair price. Take an open mind with you. Be prepared to listen to someone with a decade or two of experience explain why glossy black may not be the most effective choice.

7. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

Glossy Black !

"I want the card to be glossy black"

If you are set on a glossy black card the I'd suggest that within the design you make provision for a greasy thumb print.

From one who has had clients with a similar quirk

KGB

8. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

That's a thing called Spec work.... 90% of designers hate that and sorry I'm in that 90% majority.

If you are serious about starting a business then you HAVE TO PAY for professional work being if it's an accountant, IT support, etc. After all asking a designer to give you free work is just plain rude.

My best advise would be to ask some design student you know to do it so they can add it to their portfolio, it will cost you nothing and you should get a half decent result.

NO-SPEC!

9. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

It's not too bad with some stuff you see on here– someone wants critique on a logo, or help with a little copyright logo to throw on some small-time digital photos... but yeah, business cards are pretty constant freelance work for me and I'd be annoyed if someone wanted free ideas.

10. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Per the feedback from our members in graphic designer, many of whom are longstanding members and contributors to our forums, and almost all of whom feel uncomfortable with these kind of requests, I'm locking this thread.

To the OP, as mentioned, if you decide to design something yourself and want feedback, this is perfectly acceptable. You may even request feedback on purchased designs. But we ask that you do not solicit "freebies."

Honestly, I do not do free psychotherapy or provide free neuropsychological examinations to board members either. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.