Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i did a restore and i clicked set up as new iphone and i was told that if i synced before i restored that when i synced my contacts would come up. why didn't it work! is there anything i can do! or i have to restore with back up?

applerocks

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2005
Didn't iTunes backup your iPhone? If so, just restore from that backup. It should probably still be there.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
i did a restore and i clicked set up as new iphone and i was told that if i synced before i restored that when i synced my contacts would come up. why didn't it work! is there anything i can do! or i have to restore with back up?

Just go back under the info tab and sync your contacts back

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
yea, but i was told backing up was bad and could transfer over corrupt files or something. isn't it better to set up as new phone. or is there no way to set up as new phone and keep your contacts?

cshale210

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2007
this happened to me once, and it was actually becasue i was using an older cable. could that be it?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i dont think my contacts synced right then, because i dont' see them under there. i see it says windows mobile or someting

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
idk. wouldnt' hitting sync button before restoring sync my contacts to my address book or do i have to do a certain thing? is it really bad to restore adn use the back up. does that kill the point of a restore?

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
yea, but i was told backing up was bad and could transfer over corrupt files or something. isn't it better to set up as new phone. or is there no way to set up as new phone and keep your contacts?

No. When you get a new phone it doesn't have your contacts in it does it? You set it up " AS A NEW PHONE!

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i thought i could sync after i set it up as new phone and get my contacts back. k nvm. guess not. the clean and restore thread messed me up. i thought u coudl do set up as new phone and put contacts.

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Have you checked to see if the contacts are in your address book on your computer? If so you should be able to sync them back to your phone.

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
idk. wouldnt' hitting sync button before restoring sync my contacts to my address book or do i have to do a certain thing? is it really bad to restore adn use the back up. does that kill the point of a restore?
You do a restore to new when you think your backup is corupt.
You do a restore from backup when you want to clean things up or your phone is working laggy or some other problem. I was having battery issues and I did a restore from backup and now everything is fine. Don't you have your contacts on your computer somewhere in your address book?
Are you using a PC or a mac?
Just sync your contacts back from your address book on your PC?MAC?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i only say my backup may be corrupt, because of the 2 random times that i got a text and no sound came and the fact that my slider froze once and i had to hit the power button then slide it again and it worked. idk

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009
i only say my backup may be corrupt, because of the 2 random times that i got a text and no sound came and the fact that my slider froze once and i had to hit the power button then slide it again and it worked. idk

Well that's like getting chemo therapy because you think you have a headache!
Don't go to such extremes.
Ask questions here and try the simplier remedies first.
Then if all fails you can do a restore from backup and then if that doesn't work then you can do the restore to new but then you start all over unless you happen to have Mobile Me where every thing is stored. seeeeeeeeeeee?;)

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
I'm never able to successfully backup all of my Contacts via iTunes. Any other suggestions?

There are apps that claim to do the trick, I may go down that route.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'm never able to successfully backup all of my Contacts via iTunes. Any other suggestions?

Chodite,

Believe it or not but all my computers I have here are running Windows 2000 (so I cannot use Itunes for my iPhone). I use a friend's computer for firmware updates etc but most of the time I like to set up my phone as a new phone and want to avoid any backups.

So what I use is the free app Mobyko (I tried a couple of other apps and they made a mess of my contacts).

So what I did was set up my phone as a new phone and then downloaded mobyko from the app store. I then transferred my contacts from mobyko's website to my phone and was good to go (with contacts at least)

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Chodite,

Believe it or not but all my computers I have here are running Windows 2000 (so I cannot use Itunes for my iPhone). I use a friend's computer for firmware updates etc but most of the time I like to set up my phone as a new phone and want to avoid any backups.

So what I use is the free app Mobyko (I tried a couple of other apps and they made a mess of my contacts).

So what I did was set up my phone as a new phone and then downloaded mobyko from the app store. I then transferred my contacts from mobyko's website to my phone and was good to go (with contacts at least)

Kept 'em in tact and everything? Some of these xfer-to-website / xfer-back-to-iPhone apps seem like a nightmare with all sorts of problems. I'll check these guys out. Thanks for the info.

cWeems

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
FLORIDA, USA

i see you're using a MacBook, it should be simple? you have it set to sync with Address Book under the info tab in iTunes?

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
i see you're using a MacBook, it should be simple? you have it set to sync with Address Book under the info tab in iTunes?

I do. But for some reason, it doesn't sync. Could be due to my iPhone being jailbroken (?) But I just synced, checked my Address Book on my Mac and noticed there were many new contacts missing.

cWeems

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2008
FLORIDA, USA
I do. But for some reason, it doesn't sync. Could be due to my iPhone being jailbroken (?) But I just synced, checked my Address Book on my Mac and noticed there were many new contacts missing.

jailbroken could be the problem... mine has always worked fine(non jailbroken) anytime i have a new contact and sync, its in Address Book, anytime i restore Address Book puts them all in the iPhone.

Anytime ive jailbroken ive never even attempted to sync, so idk. usually when u jailbreak u have to "hack" iTunes too for it to recognize it (at least when i did it) so that might be why. do u have the newest iTunes?

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
thansk everyone i just restored and backed up from my last sync, so it should fix the problem. the problem was my sms tone not going off when i had a message, but it only happened 2 times randomly and the weird thing is. it would not make the noise, but it would vibrate and a second later if i got a text it would then make the noise, so its not that its always off. so idk.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
i keep hearing that restoring from back up can keep your same problems, but is that for problems such as battery and etc. mine is just the 2 random times that the sms sound didn't go off and my slider froze once., which 3 other people have said happened to them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.