Help did lion kill my iMac? What next?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zzzmaillists, Jul 28, 2012.

1. zzzmaillists macrumors newbie

HI There, Im on a Late 2009 iMac 27inch the one with the Ati radeon HD4850

i waited ages to upgrade to Lion which i did a few weeks ago, i checked drive and verified before doing so and it all went well (although NTFS-3G stopped working i found a fix!) Anyhow a few days ago, my machine rebooted and was stuck on the grey screen with spinning wheel

rebooted into recovery mode let me put lion back on through the network option (think it pulls my install down from apps store?). it worked a few more days until 2 days ago, when the SMART STATUS of the drive was failed.

last 24 hours i have managed to get reinstall the time machine back to a couple of days ago, so not all lost, however status of the drive in disk utility is S.M.A.R.T. Status : Failing

I have heard about creating a Boot drive (http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/25/create-os-x-mountain-lion-boot-dvd-usb-drive-liondiskmaker/) is this the next urgent thing to do?
    Is there anything else i can try? would it be worth doing the updates and trying to install mountain lion in the hope it would fix it OR bit the bullet and buy a drive? I see there is a thread with some people claiming lion is to blame and it does seem suspicious that a perfectly working drive falls apart AFTER the install....

gut instinct is to buy a new hard drive and get someone to install for me (don't trust myself!) would this work (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/wd-internal-3-5-sata-hard-drive-2tb-09809632-pdt.html) or do i need a specific kid of drive? Its a 1tb but opportunity to upgrade to 2tb appeals.
    recommendations/help welcomed!

Advice welcomed, as don't wanna give up the ghost on my mac just yet !

Thanks!

Samantha x:):)

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

If S.M.A.R.T. is failing, no software is going to fix it. You are in danger of losing all of your data if you haven't already.

You need a new hard drive.

3. zzzmaillists thread starter macrumors newbie