HELP: Didn't check box to sync apps now it wants to erase them all!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by djrobsd, Feb 4, 2011.

1. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

In my itunes, I didn't have the box checked to sync apps. I'd like to manage my apps from iTunes. I notice when I look at my apps, a LOT of my apps are there in iTunes, but several of the apps I've downloaded in the past few months are not showing.

I'm worried if I turn App Sync on, i will loose these apps, and/or my settings/data in the apps (I.e. I use picture safe to store photos that are not in my photo library, etc).

Any ideas how it will work when I check the box to sync? Will my other apps go away? Will I loose settings/data in the apps that are installed?

2. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

With your itunes account, you can always redownload your apps--even the ones you paid for--with no hassle. The only problem is if you are signed into a different itunes account on your phone from the computer--but that's a bunch of crazy that you shouldn't normally be doing.
    When you sync apps, itunes will ask if it has to delete apps from either end. In your case, it'll just add them to the apps on your computer.

3. djrobsd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok, so here's how it worked for me:

-Using a little common sense went into apps section in itunes. Noticed there were 43 updates for my apps, so I updated them all in itunes first.

-Then I right clicked on my iphone and selected "transfer purchases". This then went through and transferred the apps I bought from my phone into the apps in my itunes, so now everything matched up.

-I then checked the box to sync apps. It said they would be erased, etc, replaced...

It did a sync... And let me tell you, it did NOT erase anything, it just installed a couple of apps that were in itunes but I had deleted from my phone.. All my settings, and everything is fine.

So, I would say if you follow these steps when wanting to turn app sync on, you'll be ok...