Help disappointed newcomer

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kenny01, Feb 25, 2011.

1. kenny01 macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm having a really hard time deciding whether to get or don't get the new Macbook Pro 13". I'm an uni student in urgent need of a laptop. I was waiting for the Pro line update which came out yesterday and I have to say, I'm deeply disappointed with it. Apples lazyness to tweak design of 13" case to fit in graphics, well I could probably live with that, but one thing I seriously don't get is the 1280x800 display resolution and lack of SSD, at least for the system. I feel completely ripped off as they've saved themselves work by not adding a proper gpu, but they decided to rip us off even more by not at least compensating it with better screen res nor adding a SSD drive.
    I'm having a really hard time deciding what to do. I'm thinking of getting baseline air 13" or baseline pro 13" or actually not getting any of these, because this updated totally pissed me off.

I'm no big gamer, I just need smaller and light laptop that's easy to carry around, for writing notes, heavy browsing, occasional playing/composing music and some light photo editing in photoshop.

I've never owned a mac computer before.
    I'm really interested in your opinions, because I'm not sure if I want to spend $1200/$1300 on such rip off. Is it really worth it? Thanks!

2. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

If you want a comp with SSD and good resolution, get the Air.

3. Davichi macrumors 6502

1. Intel HD 3000 graphic will do most of your needs unless you are heavy gamer. Unfortunately, it is not as good as Nvidia 320 M graphic card. People have run some test and it performed worse than nvidia 320M with core 2 duo.
    However, it plays most of games at acceptable frame rates.

2. 1440X900 resolution is a bit disappointing, but I was expecting it. Just because 13 MBA has it, that doesn't mean 13 MBP should. 13 MBP is 1199 dollars and 13 MBA costs 1299 dollars. If you compare them side by side, 13 MBA also has let down itself with just 2GB ram.

It is shame that apple doesn't even offer an upgrade on 13 inch screen, but they are going cheap. It's not a deal breaker. 1280X800 resolution is not that bad.

3. Finally, you gotta be seriously joking about SSD in MBP. Apple put SSD in MBA because they can get away with just 64-128GB storage on MBA, but pro users will ask a lot more than that. Apple cannot afford to put in 512 GB SSD on their MBP and maintain the same price.

If you want SSd, they offer it as BTO option. You can also install one yourself.

Bottom line, don't like it. Don't buy it. But, 13 MBP has a decent upgrade compare to last year.

4. kenny01 thread starter macrumors newbie

ad SSD)
    I wasn't expecting 512GB SSD, I probably didn't point it out clearly I meant SSD for system (32GB) maximum.

Anyway, thanks for your opinions so far, appreciate it.

5. kx22 macrumors member

You were expecting because we made the rumors. Apple never said that they are going to do this. Perhaps they did not even think about this or it never crossed they're minds. I don't know who started the SSD rumor, but I do think a lot of companies like this solution.
    The liquid metal story is only based on the change in the menubar on the apple store. That is like based on thinner Macbooks because Steve said: this is the future about the Air.
    Not every word or little detail dat Apple is bringing will change a whole new concept for the whole production.

I think the update is decent. The i5 on the base model is kind of a big update (compared to the last 2 updates).
    A higher screen resolution? Will cost 100 dollar at least. Check the 15". They you have the same price as the 13" Air.

Next time dont read the rumors. Just let it happen and you will be happy.

6. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

You may have been reading these forums too much.

If you're coming to the Mac and this is your first one, be assured this is a blazingly fast computer.

If you already had one, like many on these forums, and you'd been following all the rumors, like many on these forums, and had set your heart on each one that had come up and seemed plausible, and ended up with a perfect Frankenspec based on cherrypicking these, like many on these forums, then like them you may have felt disappointed. But don't let the rage put you off what is a very decent, beautiful, well-built machine for general use.

I'm considering upgrading to a baseline 13" from a White MacBook - which I've been thinking of doing since shortly after I got the MB. For me, this will be a hell of a performance bump.

7. jdaniel macrumors 65816

you dont need a better GPU I have owned all the top of the line 15" macs and really never had the need for a 512 for GPU.. And after having 2 x15" and lugging them around I went for the 13" if you need big screen buy a 27" Samsung.. I forgot the model or if u have money an apple screen for watching movies at home :)

13" is light and now even lighter, I dont know about the battery tho, I am kind of thinking the better processor means less battery life theres a big debate about it not going to bother much with that.

You might want to be smart and look for re-sellers out there who have 2010 stock of the base 13" which I had.. as it is in oct 2010, I bought mine for $300 off retail which would be like $250 USD off retail. I think you would be able to find some great deals now. You should be able to match that or better yet buy from apple refurbished, its supposed to look perfect so theres no loss there and who knows you might find them knocking $500 or so off. With the money saved.Go get a SSD if you are so into that. But as with every mac, buy Applecare from somewhere doesnt need to be from apple.. but get apple care before the 1 year warranty is up. If you get a good set all if well but if you get a lemon or something you want to be covered. I switched to mac in 08 and I have never felt comfy with anything since. :) ENJOY

8. jmdMac macrumors regular

Although the Air is very portable, I think the 13"mbp would be a better choice for you. Check out the refurb store and you could get a good deal on the previous generation mbp. If you went that way, you would get the previous/better graphics card and a worse processor.

13"mbp vs. 13"mba

-mbp cpu that runs laps around the 1.8 cd2 in the mba
    -mba gpu is improvement over mbp gpu
    -+2gb RAM in the mbp
    -mba lighter/thinner
    -mbp has thunderbolt, firewire, and an extra usb
    -mbp less expensive
    -mbp higher resale value
    -mba is more portable
    -mba has standard SSD (but limited capacity)

I'm sure that list is missing some. Either way, the 13"mbp is COMPLETELY capable of doing what you want to and more and is cheaper than the air. Believe me, I walk around everyday with my 15" mbp and it is not a bother to carry. The 13" mbp will be a very portable machine by any standards, just not compared to the air.

In the end it's up to you.

9. RidgeRacerType4 macrumors newbie

RidgeRacerType4

The same

Actually, I'm in the same situation as the Original Poster. I'm seriously considering getting the 2010 model 13" MBP referb'd. It's $929 now (without tax) for me that comes out to $1004 with taxes. That's $200+ for sandy bridge and Thunderbolt. I have an imac with nearly exactly the same specs as the 2010 MBP so I have a feeling of what I would be getting myself into. The 2010 MBP would have more memory and a better GPU then my imac (plus I already have an SSD I can contribute to it beefing it up). The 2010 MBP is so cheap in fact, I can even afford to have it Expressed shipped...

I'm told that earlier there was a 15" 2010 MBP referb that was around $1200, if that shows up I might go that route as well.

I went over to the Apple store earlier to check out the new models... It took 30 minutes for a rep to even approach me. In the interim a women was getting her 13" macbook pro replaced with another C2D macbook pro. I asked the rep if they had anymore 2010 machines, they said no... I nearly just gave up and bought a vaio, fortunately a nap was able to calm me down enough from doing anything impulsive but I'm still disappointed with apple. The update and bad customer service on a launch day is not sitting well with me... :-/

10. eaf7s macrumors regular

Bad customer service because, on one of the busiest days of the year, you didn't bother to let someone know you needed help--just waited there? And then they happened to be out of the old machine that you wanted? They've been phasing them out for weeks! Cry me a river. Those kids make 8-9 bucks an hour dealing with people like you and much, much worse, and still deliver some of the friendliest service in the world. Next time, get there earlier and be more assertive.

11. RidgeRacerType4 macrumors newbie

RidgeRacerType4

1) It was not particularly busy. It was in the middle of the afternoon and the number of reps slightly out weighed the number of customers. If I had not followed MR, I would not know there was anything particularly special about today at the apple store.

2) There were 4 of them goofing off at the front of the store. So much so that they didn't even bother to greet me at the door

3) My point was, when I finally got to talk to a rep they claimed they didn't have any older models, however was able to pull one out for someone else no problem. To give a bit of background, the women that got the machine had walked in for a genius session with no prior visits. I was there long enough to see the entire transaction. To be honest, I feel she probably should have received one of the new MBPs instead of getting the 2010 model or at least offered it as an option with a little money on the side.

4) They weren't kids at all but rather all mid to late 20's. However you gotta get a job where you can.

Lastly, Had any rep at anytime tried to sell me a machine at all, I might have been more inclined to buy something right then. My point here is that the "These things practically sell themselves" mentality where $1000-$2500 is involved is not acceptable. Similarly, when you go shopping for a car, whatever your intentions, you expect some service. There was none here.

I don't blame Apple directly for that in-store experience as that is the kind of dice you can roll in the retail game. My previous experiences at that same store have generally been good but the bad experience compounded with my disappointment at the 13" models, briefly made me reconsider buying a mac at all. Had it not been for the fact that I'm a longtime mac user and the fact that I'm generally adversed to impulse spending, I might have gone with another manufacture all together.

Overall I'm just venting, It was certainly not how I expected this launch to go down but, meh. I suppose it's what I get for having expectations for a spec bump. Lets hope they iron things out for the redesign next year

12. kenny01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Thank you guys for your opinions, helped me alot. I shall add I'm coming from old 15" Dell inspirion 1525, C2D @ 2.0GHz, 4GB ram, integrated graphic @ 1440x900, windows lappy. As I have never owned a Mac I'm assuming from your comments I'm gonna expierence huge performance improvment. And yeah I've probably been reading these forums too much. Based on your comments I think I'll go for it, one thing I'm still worried about is the resolution downgrade, but I checked and my dell and the 13" pro have same dpi, so I guess that's going to be fine.

13. KPOM macrumors G5

If I were you I'd go with the 13" MacBook Pro with the 128 GB SSD option. That configuration is available for $1449.

By comparison, a base 13" MacBook Air upgraded to 4GB is $1399. For the extra $50, you get a much faster processor (2.3GHz Core i5 vs 1.86GHs Core 2 Duo), a Superdrive, Firewire, Thunderbolt, a backlit keyboard, and more expandability (you can always upgrade to 8GB RAM or a bigger SSD later). True, the Air has a higher resolution display and a nicer graphics card, but for the tasks you are describing, the upgraded MacBook Pro will be significantly faster. The Air is a "luxury" device that is more about fashion and size. The 13" Pro is much better for a student on a budget who wants something to last.

14. eaf7s macrumors regular

Oh okay, I was under the impression that the other person got an older machine before you--that's different. And I was in an Apple store (given, one in England, where it's half-term and all the kids are out of school) yesterday and it was SLAMMED--store at home (in Kentucky) was slammed too. And they were more than accommodating for me pressing them about replacing my logic board (they didn't, but hey...it was worth a try :D )

My boyfriend works at an Apple retail store and my experience has always been above and beyond customer service. Then again, recently a lot of beard, heavy-rimmed glasses & fixie-bike toting hipsters that moonlight as local baristas have been bringing their "holier-than-thou" attitudes in and I can definitely see where that gets frustrating lol.

15. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

What about the air and the future of macbooks? We saw no upgrade in the pros related to the air. That means the next revamp will change things. This one just bumped the CPUs, because... well... let's face it, it was c2d. And the quads are really nice. Great cpu improvement in this generation, many changes in the next one.

@op, I suggest you buy the new one, unless you don't care about storage, then just get the air. You'll lose a lot of performance cpu-wise, then again the SSD makes it quite fast in many tasks.
    About the pro's resolution, my 15" toshiba laptop has less than the 13" mbp. And it's a gaming laptop (Qosmio series) with 2,4ghz i5 (last gen), 6gb of ram and 1gb nvidia 330m.
    So you can see the resolution is still higher than the average other people use. You don't necessarily need an HD resolution, unless you enjoy plenty of HD movies (actually I want that :D).

To sum up. If you don't need more storage than you get with the MBA you can afford, buy the MBA. Otherwise, get the 13" pro.
    And also, if you're not in a hurry, you can wait 3-4 weeks for the white macbook update. I think it will be a cheap MBP13" without thunderbolt.

16. kenny01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm on the Pro 13" vs Air 13" boat. At the moment, I'll probably be going for Pro because as someone pointed out, pro can actually be easily upgraded to SSD, even if I don't get one now. Problem with air is actually the lack of being able to upgrade it. I'll probably want to keep my laptop for a bit longer, unless next update brings something significant that would make me. Also, can user replace the HDD himself without voiding the warranty?

17. RidgeRacerType4 macrumors newbie

RidgeRacerType4

IMHO, The redesign will come next year. In fact, people presumed the redesign would be this year because of apple's past redesign schedule.
    Considering there weren't even Chinese leaks or spec mock ups of this update; I had a feeling it was going to be a spec boost. I was just hoping it would be just a little better than it was

While I'm disappointed at this refreshes 13" pro model update, I'm almost certain the next update will be an insane awesome refresh. Ivy Bridge for the desktops will be out by then and Sandy Bridge will have upgraded twice. Considering the last refresh was in April and this refresh is in February (Practically March), There is a possibility of the redesign coming out as early as January next year.
    A quad core in the high end 13" would be nice, the return of a dedicated GPU, more SSD options (possibly even standard on the high end model) and a higher resolution screen would be my conservative guess for the redesigns.

Again, this is purely speculation and I could be 100% wrong. As always, buy what you need now, worry about upgrading later.

As for me, I'm going with the 2010 13" MBP and then sell up for the redesign. I may possibly not even bother by then because a new imac is also in the plans for me come years end.

I would recommend the new 13" pro if your uses are more process intensive then graphic and you have plans for some LightPeak.... I mean thunderbolt peripheral in the near future.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

Yes, on the Pro the RAM and hard drive are user-replaceable, and doing so does not affect the warranty.

19. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Can you name one notebook currently on the market for $1200 that includes an SSD for the system?

That was never more than a rumour, and I've no idea why some people are so up-in-arms over it. Did anyone actually expect this to happen? :rolleyes:

20. activerog macrumors newbie

If you do buy a Mac, make sure you get the Applecare extended warranty, because you're very likely to need it. My MBP mid-2010 has been in service twice, two logic boards. Over at the office, there's 4 or 5 macbooks, mostly 13" and one 15", the rest of the sales crew use a mix of Dell, Toshiba and HP.

In the reliability stakes, Apple suck. Over two years, the only machine that's ever needed to be returned for service was one of the HP's, for an out-of-warranty LCD panel replacement, as the machine was dropped. None of the rest of the machines ever needed warranty work except for two MBP's, again both needing logic board replacement, not booting. Same problem as mine which is in for warranty service #2, another logic board.

Apple have gone all-out with exceptional quality in the aluminium housing, love their keyboards, the only thing that comes close in my mind are Sony's Vaio, and the Mac OS is infinitly superior to Windows 7, programs load faster, the machine boots faster, and there's far less unexpected crashes with the Mac. It's a shame they've compromised on quality inside with crap quality electronics.

Making the move from Windoze to Mac, it'll take you a few days to get used to it, but you'll most likely love the mac experience, the big touchpad, the keyboard and the screen, although I really hate the glossy screens. They are useless if you're using your mac for presentation. I do in-home presentations on residential solar power, the reflective screen is pain in the ass, as you got to move around so that the machine is sitting just right, then my prospective clients around. Many people say that's a really cool laptop the mac, but they wouldn't buy one now they know how reflective the screen is in real life.

Are they worth the $1499 aussie dollars we pay for a 13" MBP?
    Not really. You're buying top quality housing, keyboard, etc - but what's with the consistency with logic board malfunctions? If companies like Dell, Toshiba, HP and Sony can make reliable electronics in their notebooks, why not Apple? You pay a premium, you don't expect compromise but 100% quality inside and out. This is clearly not the case from my own experiences, and that of the sales crew at the office.

21. activerog macrumors newbie

Honestly, Apple products are great whilst they work OK, but as soon as you need service, or warranty support, one discovers the true colours of this pathetic excuse of a company. One of our Dell's was repaired within a week. With Crapple you get the same "repair in progress" message, try to call an apple store and you need to go through crapple care. After being on hold for almost 20 minutes I got to talk to somebody who took my repair ID code, and told me it "could be a few days yet, it's only been 2 weeks since you brought your macbook pro to the store for a warranty job" I told him this is a work machine, and Toshiba and Dell hardly ever take this long, and they keep you updated. I got hung up on. I called back and after being on hold for nearly 15 minutes, and got onto somebody a little bit more helpful, in that she transferred my call to the store concerned and after being on hold for over 20 minutes, was told that the parts had arrived (logic board), and because of the large number of other people's repairs, it will be a few more days until they can get to my macbook pro.

Large number of other people's repairs ???
    This tells me that Crapple products are in fact crap. At the office there's 4 macs and around 25 machines of other flavours. Apart from a dropped Dell needing a LCD replacement, all but 1 crapbook pro had needed warranty service, the average turn-around being 2-3 weeks.

Much as I love the keyboard, screen and overall look and feel of my 13" Macbook Pro (mid-2010), this is my first and LAST TIME i will ever buy ANY apple product. So they can go all out and make their machines look and feel fantastic, but unless you have reliable electronics inside, they're still crap. It doesnt matter how good it looks and how good a casing they use, if you're putting **** quality electronics under the bonnet, all you have is an overpriced, over-hyped piece of crap. At least I can depend on my Dell and my Toshiba, they don't have the super high quality aluminium housings and such, they feel cheap and plasticky, but at least inside there's quality manufacturing. With apple, all that's keeping the company alive is an army of braindead noobs who blindly follow retard Steve Job's every new product announcement and then go and line up at their local crapple store to try to be the first to have their new inferior overpriced crap quality gadget.

Like I said, Crapple's good until you need warranty service, then you have no idea where you are or where you're going. That might be OK for domestic users, but for us business people, we cannot afford to buy ****. This is the reason why Toshiba, Dell, HP and Sony dominate the notebook market, this is the reason why Blackberries and Nokias dominate the mobile phone market, and why the business community has been slow in the uptake of iPhones - how can you run a business with a handheld piece of crap where you have no idea how long the battery will last, unlike other smartphones, with the crapple iPhone, sometimes I get 3-4 hours, sometimes 5-6 hours, with similar usage, yet get a real phone like a Galaxy or a Blackberry and you can survive, prosper the thrive without having to be continually tied to a charger unit. Apple are the pits. And no flash video support in the itoy (iphone), what a farkin joke. Suppose the apple policy is their products are overpriced, cheap and nasty toys, if they included flash support on their itoys, errr iphones, maybe business users might take to them like they have to the Galaxy, Streak and Blackberrys.