Help! Disk space full!?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by imjoee, Apr 6, 2014.

1. imjoee macrumors 6502

imjoee

How do i delete files to clear some space up!? It says my storage is all in the "other category" why? I have 110GB in the Yellow/Other Category.

2. adpeace macrumors newbie

Hi,

If you can free up enough space on your drive (a few tens of MB perhaps - moving a few photos off temporarily or something), then you could download Space Gremlin from the App Store (or other similar app) and it will show you where the space is going.

Thanks,
    Andy.

3. mad3inch1na macrumors 6502a

Time Machine Backup?

Make sure you don't have time machine enabled, or if you do, make sure it will not backup to your internal hard drive.

Do you backup your iPhone on your computer? Multiple iPhones?

What size is your hard drive? What sort of data are you storing on your computer? Movies? Pictures? Video games? Word documents? The more information you give the forum, the better it will be able to assist you.

I'm assuming you have a 128GB hard drive, and unless you are storing movies, video games, and your music, it should not be filling up.

Best,
    Matt

4. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

I actually keep very good track of the amount of storage i keep on my 128GB (115GB) internal HD, today i began with 40GB and created a 10 minute movie and it used all of the GB up, how is this possible? i used Final Cut Pro.

5. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Boot into your recovery partition (hold down cmd-R at the earliest phases of a reboot). Run Disk Utility. You may have lost/orphaned clusters. If so, they'll be recovered. Nothing to worry about but annoying it happens.

What disk-related programs (backup, etc) do you run ordinarily? One of these may be misbehaving.

6. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Movie editing is the biggest user of space. A raw capture non HD video is around 1+ GB/min, if you ever cature apple vids on an iphone its like 2+GB per minute in all it HD glory.

Most people who do any type of AV work usually has an array of fast and large drives or SSD for it :) Your 115GB is puny...

If its a newer air, maybe you wanna get a USB3 ext enclosure and stick a much bigger HDD or SSD if you have the money and use that space for scratch while you're doung editing works?

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

8. imjoee thread starter macrumors 6502

imjoee

Thanks, I used it and have gotten 20GB back. I also have a problem with the "other" category being 60GB.

----------

So i've recouped 20GB back, but i also have the category "other" with consumption of 60GB, what should i do now?

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

You do NOT need a special app to see what is on your disk. That is totally counter productive.

You will find stuff you can remove but you just may need 99% of what is on your disk drive. The best way out of this is to buy an external disk and copy your entire home folder to it.

So, copy it out, make a backup of the data so that you are shire you have MULTIPLE COPIES of it. Then delete the larger least used data.

To see what is taking the most space bring up the terminal and try a command like "du -s *" to see the size of the folders in your home folder. You can sort the results by size by sending the results to the sort command "du -s * | sort -n" This will list the largest one last.

But really, if you have a LOT of data it's never going to fit on a small internal drive. You will have to learn to keep some of it on external drives and how to keep it all backed up.

10. adpeace macrumors newbie

Whilst using du is fine for someone familiar with the command-line, the app I suggested was free and helps to visualise where the space is going (there are many others like it I'm sure).

11. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is not necessarily a problem. "Other" is just everything that does not fit into one of those other categories like Photos etc. Do those seem whacky also?

Those numbers come from the Spotlight index, and sometimes it can get corrupted and cause a bad reading. Run the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight, then see if the numbers look okay to you.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /
    If they still look too high, run the command below in Terminal and post the output here and we can take a look at it for you. This will list all your root folders along with space used by each, including hidden folders.

Code:
    sudo du -d 1 -x -c -g /