Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alumac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Hi,
I just bought a new WD hard disk and backed up all my data to it (80 GB). I then performed a clean install on my Macintosh HD.

Before I restored my data to the internal drive, I thought it would be a good idea to copy my fresh installation to a new partition on the external disk.

So I booted up disk utility to check if partitioning would affect my data. Using the partition tool, I clicked the plus sign (without applying changes). Disk utility said that if I add a partition, it would simply add a new volume and that the previous volume would not be erased. I clicked apply, and now there is nothing left of my data in the original partition.

Can I get it back? Undo the partition, or file recovery?

This is a nightmare. Please help!

Thanks..

alumac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
Use Data Rescue II to recover your data, it works with such a simple error (meaning, that only the partition table is gone, and no data was damaged, instead of corruption or hardware damage.).

Oh, they don't let you try it for a while. I might have to stow away my disk for a while until I can afford to buy it.

I hope it works!

alumac

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 31, 2009
You are in the same boat, as you edited/deleted (the old) partition table, so it may help.

I added a new partition. I don't know if thats the same as deleting a partition? Also, I was taking a look at DiskWarrior by Alsoft. If it "rebuilds" directory structure, does that mean it will find the deleted files?

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
Data Rescue 2 and Photorec will do the best job of recovering data.

Not sure how exact Disk Warrior works with its directory rebuilds. Never actually used it before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.