Help! Disk Verification issue

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aeolyn5601, Dec 3, 2010.

1. aeolyn5601 macrumors member

aeolyn5601

Hey guys, I have a 2009 13" Aluminum MBP. Recently I installed a Seagate Momentus 7200RPM 500GB drive in it and used CarbonCopyCloner to move the data from my previous drive to this one. I then made an 85 GB BootCamp Partition, but removed it. According to disk utility I now have a whole partition dedicated to OS X that has 312GB of free space remaining, but according to Finder, i only have 230GB remaining. To try and rectify this and because I could not get BootCamp Assistant to format my drive, i tried repairing disk permissions, which worked, but then I tried Verifying Disk and I got this error message-

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The thing is, i would love to do this, but I lost my install disks. My question is, instead of calling Apple for new restore disks, Can I just go pick up a fresh copy of 10.6? Or is there an alternative to use? Or should I just screw BootCamp and go with VMWare Fusion. I just need Windows to play COD4 and BF:BC2.

2. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Yes you can just go buy 10.6 for $29. But... if you ever need to wipe the drive and reinstall the OS you will not have the iLife apps anymore. They do not come on the OS install disc. You will also have to purchase iLife `11 if you don't have it already.

3. aeolyn5601 thread starter macrumors member

aeolyn5601

Alright thank you very much. I plan on getting iLife 11 soon so that should not be an issue.

4. aeolyn5601 thread starter macrumors member

aeolyn5601

Actually, if I have a copy of Tiger, since the disk format isn't different (at least I don't think) could that work? Or does it have to be Snow Leopard?

5. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

I know you are not supposed to repair permissions using a different OS version but not sure about disk repair. I wouldn't.