Help! Disk0s2: I/O Error

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tacw, Feb 18, 2015.

1. tacw macrumors newbie

I have a late 2011 macbook pro that has just started having problems booting up and is showing a "disk0s2: I/O error" in Verbose. I would like to note that I am currently able to boot into safe mode and, before I deleted it, my windows parallel.

I am sure my hard drive is on its way to failure but might it be something else?
    What recommendations do you all have for replacement internal hard drives? Brands, etc.?

A little bit about what happened leading up to the error....

I upgraded my ram from 4GB to 8GB last week. Every thing seemed to be going fine and the computer was running much faster.
    Right before this all happened, I had booted into Windows for the first time in over a year and it opened up to the update page. It then rebooted the computer when it was around 35% and opened back into OSX. I turned off the computer and started it back into Windows where it finished the update.
    Then, when I was starting it back into OSX for the second time, the computer slipped off its perch and fell about a foot onto a table. I am sure this is what did it in.

It was then forever stuck on the gray screen with the apple symbol and the gray spinning wheel.
    I have tried swapping the RAM back to the original.
    I deleted the Windows parallel and returned it to on partition.
    I ran disk verify from safe mode and it said that the drive was okay.
    I ran disk repair from the Disk Utility start up page and it said that the drive was okay.
    I reinstalled the OS system (without erasing all data).
    I erased the hard drive contents and reinstalled the system from scratch.

There have been no changes in the boot up.
    I can boot to safe mode and, thankfully, I have multiple backups of all my data.

Help is greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Late 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Sounds like your HDD died when it took a fall.

Take this opportunity to get it an SSD and upgrade to Yosemite to stay secure.