Help! Display Blank After Home Repair!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Juicy-Tomato, May 26, 2013.

1. Juicy-Tomato macrumors newbie

Juicy-Tomato

Hi everyone

So intelligent me decided to get my 2008 24" iMac out and replace the hard drive with a new one. Money's tight at the moment and I didn't feel like paying a couple of hundred dollars to get it installed. How hard could it be?

So I downloaded a copy of an official Apple service manual for the same model iMac. I followed the instructions perfectly, and installed the new hard drive with no hassles.

I put it all back together (following the service manual instructions) and it came time to turn it on. When I turned it back on there was nothing on the display. It was blank.

I took off the aluminum bit to see what the diagnostic LEDs had to say. When I turn it on LED 1 & 2 turn on and that's all. Now the CPU fan turns on like normal, but after about 30-40 seconds it starts spinning at full speed. I'm finding this rather irritating and I don't feel like pulling the graphics card to bits. If that;s what needs to be done so be it...

Any help or advice would be great cause I'm starting to get sick of using a PC.

Cheers

Stu :)

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

iFixit says this on the Leds:

Technique: iMac Intel 24" EMC 2134 and 2211 Diagnostic LED's

Seems to me the Display and/or the GPU is somehow not connected correctly.

Here is the iFixit page on replacing the HD:

iMac Intel 24" EMC 2134 and 2211 Hard Drive Replacement

Edit: Step 7 in the last link could be a possibility.
    I would check all connectors again.

3. Juicy-Tomato thread starter macrumors newbie

Juicy-Tomato

Hi there justperry,

Thanks for that, I wish I saw this about 3 days ago hehe. I'll have a go at it right now and get back to you to see if that has done the trick.

Thanks for that :)

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Hopefully just a bad connection so that it is an easy fix.

5. Juicy-Tomato thread starter macrumors newbie

Juicy-Tomato

Hey justperry

I finally found some time to go ahead and try out the guides you suggest, but of course to no avail.

What I have done is following the service manual closely I have removed the logic board and video card and re-clipped the graphics card into the logic board. I reattached logic board and put all the plugs back in the correct order and I am still having the same issue.

I then went on and performed an SMC reset which of course did nothing, the CPU fan still spins at full speed after approximately 30-40 seconds after startup.

In regards to the diagnostic LED's I get the usual LED 1 & 2 lighting up upon startup, but I did notice that LED 3 comes on for about a second and then turns off, any ideas? or have a well and truly stuffed the poor thing up?