HELP! display going through weird problems

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by spadz93, Mar 21, 2010.

1. spadz93 macrumors member

there are two things that the macbook is doing to me. one is that sometimes when i move the screen up or down (the hinge is rather stiff) a white (thin) line flashes across the screen. but recently, while randomly browsing through the internet, the screen almost... i guess faded to a gray screen, but like gradually, and not like a kernel error, like the display just faded away. happened twice in a row, did a battery pull and now wont do it again. please help me out!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What MacBook with what graphics card with what Mac OS X are you using?

Can it be the tilting of the screen, as it does not have that good vertical viewing angles.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLees4K9z6E

3. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

everything i got is stock no upgrades. running mac os x 10.5.8 and no its not a tilting issue. it just like....i wanna say corroded itself into a greyish screen, but not like quickly like it took bout 10 seconds to do. if i can catch it ill throw it on youtube and put a link somewhere here

4. Pax macrumors 6502a

If it happens when you move the hinge, it is most likely a problem with the connection between the LCD and the logic board in the computer. The cable runs through the hinge. Try wiggling the hinge more, opening and closing the computer, etc. If it happens more when you do that it's the connection. You'll need to take it to a service centre if so.

5. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

Its not like the screen just cuts grey, it gradually fades into it. i dont think its the hinge i think that its the screen itself, but it hasn't been dropped as far as i can remember

6. Dualica macrumors member

Dualica

Hei,

I'm having exactly the same problem with my daughters macbook.

Watching a dvd or surfing or just working on the mac, suddenly the screen fades into grey/white. I've seen it happen myself while she was watching a dvd. Everything else seems to continue working properly. The movie continued, just couldn't see it anymore.

Only way to get it back to normal is force quitting it.

It's been in for service for 3 weeks, but nothing was found. They ran a diagnostics which was ok. Unfortunately same thing happened again after she had it back. So it's going back to service today.

Glad we're not the only ones. The dealer/serviceman had never heard of it...

Hopefully they can do something about it. Otherwise I hope we can get a replacement!

@spadz93: what have you done about it?

7. spadz93 thread starter macrumors member

well my macbook is still under warranty so i brought it to the genius bar and they are shipping it out for repairs