Help - DIY gone wrong with hard drive replacement!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sparklemotion14, Oct 4, 2009.

1. sparklemotion14 macrumors newbie

Good afternoon all.

Now, I haven't had the greatest track record with mac. In three years, I have had TWO broken harddrives, a failed power cord, battery, mouse and screen casing. I think that is a pretty rough ride. Luckily I was covered with my apple care protection plan, until about 2 months ago.

My second harddrive was shipped off to my friend who magically recovered all of my data and sent it back to me. All I had to do was swap it with my temporary one and away I go. I had seen the swap been done before so was confident I could do it. For peace of mind, I downloaded apple's official guide and laid it out in front of me.

Now, I'm pottering along happy as a louse, when I take the harddrive out, and is it is a kind of casing- apologies, I don't know what it is. Now, this is not mentioned at ALL in apples official guide. Therefore, I had to go online, find out what to do, go out and BUY the correct screwdriver, to return an hour later with my mind a little less on the game.

Concentration had waned, I wasn't on the ball, and despite me KNOWING which way it was supposed to go in, I put it in the wrong way around. It doesn't fit enough to fit the metal bar back over it. Just as well. I take it out, turn it over, try again, and it doesn't fit even more. Confusion abound.

I get a torch and look into the space, and low and behold the piece of rubber that was supposed to line the bottom side (left hand side of the harddrive as you look down on it) has completely come away from the mac.

I have now tried two different glues, and both just come away when I try and put the harddrive back in again.

I have seen other people have had this prob yet not read how people have fixed it.

Number of questions:

1. How should I reattach it? Which glue would work best?
    2. Is it likely I have done irreversible damage to the computer from trying to force it in upside down?
    3. How on earth do I get in touch with apple? The 08442096011 number provided on the website only takes me to iphone support. Furthermore, do I have to pay for their advice now I'm out of my protection plan?

Please help me guys! Lost at sea here!

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

i believe you need a T6 torx screwdriver. Also, I believe there are TWO of them on the case. covering the hard drive.

www.ifixit.com has very indepth teardowns on every Mac. Check it out, and choose the Mac you have, to be more specific.

3. sparklemotion14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, this wasn't what I was asking at all!

Anyone? Please!?

4. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

it might be useful if you said what HD your using and what model mac and what year it is,

5. sparklemotion14 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's a white macbook 13.3 inch, year 2006.

Harddrive is Seagate 500GB, yet I don't see this as being relevant considering it is the rubber rails that are not allowing me to insert the hd being the problem!!

6. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

sorry i've never had a macbook so i had no idea what you meant

would this help >> click