Help! DNS Changer malware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Marta1, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Marta1 macrumors newbie

Hallo,

I have a macbook and when I go to System Preferences > Network > Advanced > DNS, I see a number of DNS Servers I did not add and which return even after I erase them and apply changes. Their numbers are:

Next to that, under Search Domains, "home" appears by itself. I can erase that too but as soon as I re-open System Preferences they all appear again by themselves.

I am worried that that they may be malicious and mean my computer has been infected by DNS Changer! Does anyone have information on how I can check if my computer is infected, what it may be, and how I can remove the malware?

Thank you very much!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, you can remove the domain name Home. Are you behind a hardware firewall or at least have the OS X software firewall turned on?

You also may want to Flush your DNS cache too.

3. simsaladimbamba

192.168.1.254 is on your LOCAL home network, probably your router.
    195.241.77.55 and 195.241.77.58 are the DNS addresses of an ISP (Tiscali Netherlands / Green ISP B.V.).

So in other words, those DNS addresses show NO sign of malware and are safe to use.
    Sorry I can't link you to the Malware FAQ GGJstudios created. Maybe it is available via search.