Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

red321red321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
I was surfing the net when suddenly my screen locked and it asked for my password. But, it was an unfamiliar lock screen and so I just restarted my computer. Is this a virus trying to steal my password?

Attachments

• 2013-11-24 01.23.32.jpg
    2013-11-24 01.23.32.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 246

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
No such thing as a virus for Mac OS X in the wild. Just stay off of that web site. You did the right thing by restarting.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
That's the login screen. If you've never seen it, you must have auto login enabled (it is by default).

You maybe hit 'show log in window' or have a 3rd party app, such as Alfred, that displays it with a keyboard shortcut or hot corner.

red321red321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Yes you are right, it is the Alfred lock screen window and somehow I am accidentally triggering it. Would anyone have a clue as to how to disable this? Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yes you are right, it is the Alfred lock screen window and somehow I am accidentally triggering it. Would anyone have a clue as to how to disable this? Thanks.

Open Alfred then command-comma to get to prefs. Then go to the Features tab and select the System section. You can uncheck "lock" or other system commands there you do want enabled in Alfred. Or you can leave it enabled and check "Confirm" there to get a confirmation popup when you run the command.

red321red321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I tried doing that but the lock screen still comes up sometimes. I'm thinking it might be some trackpad shortcut or a hot corner or something. But I checked in Preferences->Mission Control and I do not have any Hot Corners enabled. So, I'm thinking it still might be something in Alfred?

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Thanks for the reply. I tried doing that but the lock screen still comes up sometimes. I'm thinking it might be some trackpad shortcut or a hot corner or something. But I checked in Preferences->Mission Control and I do not have any Hot Corners enabled. So, I'm thinking it still might be something in Alfred?

It won't be Mission Control, as that activates the screen lock (screensaver lock), which isn't the same as the login window (press CTRL SHIFT EJECT assuming you have a screensaver lock).

I've been using Alfred for a long time and never accidentally triggered the login screen. What is it you're doing when that happens?

red321red321

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2013
It won't be Mission Control, as that activates the screen lock (screensaver lock), which isn't the same as the login window (press CTRL SHIFT EJECT assuming you have a screensaver lock).

I've been using Alfred for a long time and never accidentally triggered the login screen. What is it you're doing when that happens?

I think that it usually happens when I am typing and maybe my hand accidentally touches the track pad. Not certain though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.