help. do not understand sync/transfer or whatever it is..

Discussion in 'iPad' started by diverdude1, Aug 16, 2011.

1. diverdude1 macrumors newbie

Thank you for your help.

I connect my iPad2 to my MacBook Pro (both new, OS X 10.6.8) and I open iTunes on the MBP and it offers to update the iTunes on my iPad2. It then warns me that I have apps on my iPad2 that should be 'transferred' to my MBP iTunes library b4 I update the iTunes on my iPad2.

I cannot understand this.

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

It means you have downloaded something directly on your ipad so it isnt in your itunes library yet. Agree to let itunes copy it across or you will likely lose them during a sync/upgrade.

3. diverdude1 thread starter macrumors newbie

thx

Is that the same as 'syncing' the apps? Those are the only things I have purchased and dl'd directly to my iPad2.

----------

I see u say 'copy'. so I gather is different from 'sync'.

umm, pardon my ignorance, but would u mind explaining how I copy an app from my iPad2 to my MBP?

xiexie :)

4. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Yes. iTunes automates the file transfers so whenever you purchase something on the computer, it will automatically transfer it to the iPad.

On the other hand, if you purchase something on the iPad, it will transfer it to the computer. If it is an iPad app, however, it will only work on the iPad.

If it is a Mac app, it will not transfer to the iPad as it only works on the Mac.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask :)

5. diverdude1 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm

I blv all the apps I purchased/dl'd on my iPad2 are specifically iPad apps.

so, do I Still transfer them to my MBP iTunes library b4 I upgrade the iTunes on my iPad2?

6. diverdude1 thread starter macrumors newbie

ouch

when I click 'sync apps' in iTunes on my MBP it sends a warning that the 9 apps will be 'Removed' from my iPad2 and all data Lost.

seems odd. why would anyone wanna do that ?

I am Not trying to reset my iPad. just wanna sync it w/ MBP.

and update the iTunes on my iPad2.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

1) You are updating the iTunes on your computer, not your iPad. Updating iTunes is completely optional but I would suggest doing it as it would keep you up to date with the newest features and whatnot.

2) If the applications are deleted on the computer, they will also be deleted on the iPad as well. I would suggest NOT deleting anything from the computer unless you KNOW you don't want it. Delete it from the iPad and the computer BEFORE syncing to make sure the app is deleted.

8. gecis macrumors regular

Honestly, this whole sync thing with the iTunes is a royal pita. I never liked it.

9. diverdude1 thread starter macrumors newbie

sync

when I go to 'sync apps' on iTunes on my MBP it tells me that the 9 apps on my iPad 2 will be removed and all data erased.

why would anyone want to do that ?

BUT it seems to tell me I should move all paid apps from my iPad 2 to my MBP iTunes library b4 I update the OS of my iPad 2. from 4.3.3 (8J2) to 4.3.5

is the way to move them to 'sync' them?

10. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

Hi, you might want to try this to transfer your purchased apps from your ipad to your mac without syncing.

Connect you iPad to your mac, it should automatically try to sync. When the sync message shows on your iPad, swipe the bar that says "slide to cancel" and the sync will stop.
    Then on your mac go to iTunes, and in the menu bar at the top of the screen click on "file" and then near the bottom of that menu click "transfer purchases from iPad".

Hope that helps.

Jon

11. diverdude1 thread starter macrumors newbie

cool

Mr. JonnyBlaze- U R the Man !

everything is A-OK now. Thx a 1000000. :apple:

12. JonnyBlaze macrumors regular

Glad to hear it worked, have fun with your iPad.

13. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Aww, you beat me to this response. This was the first thing that popped in my head when I read this.