Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
EDIT: can someone help me and see if it can be reproduced on other 15" MBPs as well?

To obtain the result, follow these steps:
1. download smcFanControl
2. crank up the fans to the max
3. move the MBP up and down and tilt it sideways
4. observe if a grinding noise can be heard
5. lower the fans to default speed
6. observe if a clicking noise can be heard.

That's what it sounds like:

---

So my 2 week old late 2016 MBP 15" started developing a weird grinding sound coming from its right fan.

Of course it's 1 day past the end of the return period (there is no holiday season extended return period in Switzerland).

It can only be heard when at the lowest speed (2000 rpm) and it sounds as if a part of the fan is brushing against something inside the case. If I move the MacBook around (upside down etc) or if I push on the top or bottom of the case, the sound varies. Sometimes it stops, and it can go days without showing up.

If I raise the fan speed using smcFanControl, the grinding noise goes away, but then it's replaced by... well, loud fan noise. Not a solution either.

Bummer. I guess I'll need to have a Genius replace my right fan.

Has anyone experienced something similar yet?

Last edited:

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
So my 2 week old late 2016 MBP 15" started developing a weird grinding sound coming from its right fan.

Of course it's 1 day past the end of the return period (there is no holiday season extended return period in Switzerland).

It can only be heard when at the lowest speed (2000 rpm) and it sounds as if a part of the fan is brushing against something inside the case. If I move the MacBook around (upside down etc) or if I push on the top or bottom of the case, the sound varies. Sometimes it stops, and it can go days without showing up.

If I raise the fan speed using smcFanControl, the grinding noise goes away, but then it's replaced by... well, loud fan noise. Not a solution either.

Bummer. I guess I'll need to have a Genius replace my right fan.

Has anyone experienced something similar yet?
As you have 1 year of manufacturer warranty, i would take it in

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
As you have 1 year of manufacturer warranty, i would take it in

I even have 3 years AppleCare. I'm taking it in for sure - I was just curious to know if anyone else has experienced the same, and if Apple stores are already equipped with spare parts.

If they can't do repairs yet, I will wait a few more weeks before taking it in. I guess I'll just go and ask.

Clint_Barton

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2016
there is no replacement guide from ifixit as of not, and given that it failed so soon after you got it, i would think that apple would just replace the device

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
there is no replacement guide from ifixit as of not, and given that it failed so soon after you got it, i would think that apple would just replace the device

It's a BTO. At the store, the only option they have is to repair it. When I asked 2 weeks ago because of a different issue (which resolved itself), they had no spare parts available and had no real solution, as I'm past the return date.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Even a week past return period, the store can make an exception. Got numerous exceptions for stuff like this, once was two months past return period.

To be honest, i would replace it with the 2.9/460/1tb they are stocked in store

They have that configuration now?

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Even a week past return period, the store can make an exception. Got numerous exceptions for stuff like this, once was two months past return period.

I can try that - but last time they said I have to do returns via AppleCare on the phone because I bought it online and not in-store. I will try again though, maybe it depends on who you talk to.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
So I went to the local Apple Retail Store Genius Bar. They said they don't have the equipment to perform repairs on the late 2016 MBP yet and they have no idea of when they will get it.

Then I did what they told me to do and I called up AppleCare. The guy on the phone couldn't enter a return in the system because it is past 14 days from the date of purchase. He said only a supervisor in the after sales department can make an exception to that, but they only work from Monday to Friday. So I will give them a call on Monday and see what they can do.

If they won't make an exception, I'll have to patiently wait for the Apple Retail Store to become equipped to perform repairs, I guess.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
For those who wonder what this sounds like, I made a video for you to enjoy:

It comes in 2 sections. The first one is at idle (2000 rpm) and the second one when forcing the fans to full speed using smcFanControl, then moving the MBP up and down a little. It sounds like... a razor, I guess?

The issue at idle only happens after it was at full rpm for a while, and/or after moving it around. If I power-cycle it, the issue is temporarily gone.

Btw, can anyone test their 15" MBP to see if with fans at full speed it makes a grinding sound when moving it about? I would hate to replace it only to have the same on a new one.

Reactions: NoWayBehind

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Last edited:

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Bump: can someone please try increasing the fan speed to maximum, then move the MBP about and see if the grinding sound can be reproduced? Thank you :)

Denumerable

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2016
Worldwide
Bump: can someone please try increasing the fan speed to maximum, then move the MBP about and see if the grinding sound can be reproduced? Thank you :)

I have the exact same model and I just set the fans to max via iStat Menus.

I shook the computer around but cannot reproduce the sound at all -- I do a lot of heavy work on my machine and the fans are running often over the last 2-3 weeks I've had the machine without any problems and nearly silent.

You should exchange your machine, my friend.

Reactions: ManuCH

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I have the exact same model and I just set the fans to max via iStat Menus.

I shook the computer around but cannot reproduce the sound at all -- I do a lot of heavy work on my machine and the fans are running often over the last 2-3 weeks I've had the machine without any problems and nearly silent.

You should exchange your machine, my friend.

Thanks a lot for trying that out for me. I'll initiate an exchange today.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
I have initiated the exchange process successfully. The courier will come and pick up the defective MBP later.

I was even offered to keep my current one while I wait for the new one, but as I'll be away on vacation I risk not being around for the exchange, so I wanted to avoid the fuss and didn't bother.

Reactions: NoWayBehind

NoWayBehind

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Rheinland Pfalz Germany
Good for you, your laptop was definitely faulty. I'm confident you will receive a nice one now :) Regarding my statement, I actually don't exactly remember where the comment was, but it was somewhere in the "notebookchat" forums (notebookcheck). But no need to worry about it now.

Reactions: ManuCH

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Manu, we do have laws here, just so you know :) OR / ZGB says a defective product has to be fixed by the manufacturer. If they're unable to do so (which is a joke - how can they be selling stuff they don't have the equipment to fix???), you get your money back, it's that simple. And it doesn't matter when that happens within your 2 year warranty. I'm glad things worked out for you, but know this: even Apple has to stick to the law. I know that they're sometimes being difficult about this. e.g. they still don't openly admit that their products have to have a full 2-year warranty here in Switzerland and claim that there's a difference between "Garantie" (1st year) and "Gewährleistung (2nd year) but that's the EU system. The Swiss law doesn't differentiate between the two at all - you get a full 2 year warranty with all the "bells and whistles" the OR / ZGB offers you: e.g. they have to fix your computer free of charge unless you damaged it. They have three attempts to do so - if they can't fix it, you get your money back. If they don't have the parts or tools to attempt to fix it in the first place, you have the right to be fully reimbursed. Don't let Apple tell you otherwise. And get legal insurance, it's necessary in Switzerland, unfortunately :)

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Manu, we do have laws here, just so you know :) OR / ZGB says a defective product has to be fixed by the manufacturer. If they're unable to do so (which is a joke - how can they be selling stuff they don't have the equipment to fix???), you get your money back, it's that simple. And it doesn't matter when that happens within your 2 year warranty. I'm glad things worked out for you, but know this: even Apple has to stick to the law. I know that they're sometimes being difficult about this. e.g. they still don't openly admit that their products have to have a full 2-year warranty here in Switzerland and claim that there's a difference between "Garantie" (1st year) and "Gewährleistung (2nd year) but that's the EU system. The Swiss law doesn't differentiate between the two at all - you get a full 2 year warranty with all the "bells and whistles" the OR / ZGB offers you: e.g. they have to fix your computer free of charge unless you damaged it. They have three attempts to do so - if they can't fix it, you get your money back. If they don't have the parts or tools to attempt to fix it in the first place, you have the right to be fully reimbursed. Don't let Apple tell you otherwise. And get legal insurance, it's necessary in Switzerland, unfortunately :)

Thank you Kis. I'm aware of Swiss laws I wasn't afraid Apple wasn't going to respect them and Apple never tried to do that.

The issue was that I didn't want to wait additional 4 weeks to get a replacement. I wanted to find a way to either get the replacement faster, or to be able to keep my MBP while waiting for the new one. Ideally I wanted to have my MBP repaired but that wasn't technically feasible.

Long story short, they did offer me to keep mine while I wait, but the replacement will ship exactly while I will be away on vacation, so I didn't want to risk not being able to send mine back within the 5 day period they give you to do that (nor did I want to spend another hour on the phone to have that deadline extended). Therefore I opted to just sit and wait.

So once again, yes there are laws and I know them - and Apple always honored their warranty duties with me, so no issues there.

xsdeus

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
San Diego, CA
It's worrysome that several threads regarding abnormal fan noise have popped up recently, and at near the same time. Hope this isn't a widespread issue.

HansDiag

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2016
smFanControl doesnt work for me (Mac OS 10.12.3) - i crank the speed up to full speed but it doesnt actually change. What version of FanControl did you use?

Did they repair or replace your MB?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.