Help - Dock Crahed My Macbook

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cigahs, Jul 20, 2008.

1. cigahs macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I am fairly new to MAC - I have had my macbook for almost 2 months now. I found a site that explained how to change the look of the dock. I downloaded the new files, and then backed up the old files before moving them to the trash. Well, when I tried to move the files back after placing the new DOCK files there, it gave several error messages about BOOTx and other app files. I am guessing that I was not supposed to move ALL files, but only the .png files. Now my mac just sits on the white screen with the little apple. I am not too concerned with reformatting the drive and starting over, I was just hoping there was a easy fix, or atleast a way to get my movies and photos off of it. When I put in the recovery discs, I tried repair and verify with no luck.. I found a few threads on here about similiar issues, but none that would not reboot. Maybe those folks did not delete ALL files like I did in that resource folder.. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The closest apple store is over 2 hours away!

Here is the link to the thread I found that was KIND OF similiar, but all I could find with this issue!

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=395017

thanks a million!

Donn

2. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

Well an obvious solution would be to back up all your personal data and apps (not your custom docks), and then reinstall OS X with an Archive and Install so you can still access your old files, or just a complete setup where you delete absolutely everything and start over. This will completely reset your computer with no dock problems. Just be sure to not try this again if you cannot fix it, because installs take a long time, and are a pain.

3. m1ss1ontomars macrumors 6502

Yeah, you clearly deleted files you weren't supposed to delete. In fact I can't even be sure you installed the new files correctly. Just put back those files you backed up like you said you did, and you should be fine.

4. hiddenpremise macrumors regular

hiddenpremise

Somewhere between my imagination and reality
    It sounds to me like you deleted some of the key OS files by accident. From the position you are at now, not being able to boot, you will probably not be able to simply just put the files back, however you probably have not damaged your volume structure either. My advice to you is to reinstall OSX, but change the installer options to "Install and archive." This will allow you to install a working version of OSX onto your computer without formatting your hard drive. Your previous system folder with all its preferences and data will be backed up in an archive. Apple's information on Install and Archive is listed here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1710. You can find tutorials on how to restore your preferences and such, but your applications and user data will be safe. I have never seen BOOTx errors from copying files aroud :p nice job! lol Best of luck,
    Whit

Edit:
    Better option. If you have a USB or Firewire external drive. Install OS X on your external drive. The boot to it by holding the option key. You can then replace your damaged system files.