Help. Does car insurance cover this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by hoosierxhoosier, Jun 5, 2011.

1. hoosierxhoosier macrumors newbie

Okay. I have car insurance. I only have liability. I just bought a $1500 sound system for my car.

Say someone hits me, and they have insurance. Of course their insurance company has to pay to fix my car, but what if my sound system is ruined? If I have proof that I had a sound system installed, would the other cars insurance have to pay to replace my sound system as well?

2. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

Yes, their insurance would cover that. I'm not sure how the car would be useful if the case that a $1,500 sound system was unrecognizable after a wreck though.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

For $1500, his trunk will be full of equipment, you know those obnoxious types whose bass shakes houses.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

However, if someone broke into your car and stole that $1500 sound system your insurance would not cover it.

5. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Considering those are aftermarket parts / non OEM - you will need to provide proof, via receipts or service documents.

Some insurance companies will only cover those types of items if you notify them when the policy is written - and in all fairness, you should. They think they're writing a policy for a car worth X, and you've increased the value beyond that - your should be paying a bit more for that increased liability.

Also - all of this varies by the underwriter, and state you live in.

6. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I figured as such, but if the whole back in is messed up, surely there would still be remnants (speakers, wires, etc) of said sound system.

Bet it looks like this.

That is completely logical, but if the OP is the one not at fault for the accident, I don't think notifying his insurance has any relevance (even in the case that he caused the accident, he has liability only).

7. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Yes - but even if the other party is at fault - he will need proof of what went into his car - the payee will do what they can to avoid paying. If the OP (owner) has no proof or documentation of what was in that car - he shouldn't hold his breath waiting for that check.

8. hoosierxhoosier thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, I am holding all of my receipts for sure. So I am fine then if its not my fault?

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Are you fine? In a society where people have literally gotten away with murder - understand that when lawyers are involved - anything could happen.

If you've got $30,000 worth of audio equipment in a $1,200 dollar car - I'd expect a fight no matter what.

If the inverse is true - I would not lose any sleep over it.

10. hoosierxhoosier thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a $3,000 car.

11. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Let the insurance company know right away that your car had this installed.

That was my my mistake in 03 when I had cool rims put on my car. I didn't notify the insurance company and shortly after, my ride got stolen. Police recovered the car without rims and stereo. The insurance co had my car fixed to stock specs.

Your rate may get adjusted since the car's worth a bit more..

12. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well, if you have more than 3k invested in your stereo setup - honestly be prepared to duke it out when it comes to payment. Again, the other parties insurance company will do what they can to short change you - that's just the way things go - however you can get still get whats yours - but it may take some effort on your end.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

This should be no different than cargo being carried in the vehicle, say a valuable Tiffany lamp, that got shattered.

14. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

iJohn - I do know that in the state I used to live in (MA) - it actually was NOT considered cargo if it's bolted, hard wired or otherwise affixed to the vehicle.

That I clearly remember - granted, applies for Massachusetts and the insurer I used then - could be completely different elsewhere.

15. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It never ceases to amaze me, the lengths insurance companies will go to, to try and limit their liability.

Damage is damage. Prove it was there, and they are on the hook for the depreciated value.

Otherwise, "I go to law" - Mattie Ross. ;)

16. jammydoug macrumors newbie

I am an international student in US and I am going to buy a car. However, I don't know which insurance company has car insurance for international student. Can anyone tell me some infomation about it, scuh as the name of the company or how much it costs?