Help! Does my new 24" 3.06ghz suffer from the dreaded screen issues?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by iMac22, May 18, 2008.

1. iMac22 macrumors member

I've noticed that my screen will look spotty and brighter on the lower lefthand and upper left hand as opposed to the right sides.

Here are a few pics.
    1&2)When loading Win XP in Bootcamp. (noticeable)
    3)When watching Batman Begins. (more noticeable in person)
    4)With a solid black background and wallpaper. (not noticeable)

I just got this machine. Anyone else have an issue with their screen like this?
    Should I complain and try to get a new one??????

I ran this command in Terminal
    ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

This is what it returned:
    LM240WU2-SLB1
    Color LCD

Attached Files:

2. iMac22 thread starter macrumors member

A few more pics. The issues don't show in all of them...not sure if it is the angle I am taking the picture at?

What I do know is that on Bootup for XP it is CLEARLY visible.

Attached Files:

3. Nordichund macrumors 6502

Your screen clearly suffers from backlight bleeding. You should be able to exchange your machine within 14 days, however Apple will not guarantee that your new machine will be any better.

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

It is backlight bleed and it appears, from your photos, to be minimal as the 24" aluminum iMacs go. Mine has bleed in the exact same locations and about the same level.

If you manage to get Apple to replace it for you be very prepared for the very real possibility you will get one back with far worse bleed and maybe some stuck/dead pixels or a gradient to boot.

If you have to post pics and ask in here in order to decide if your screen has any problems or not I don't think you have any. :p

5. irontony macrumors member

The iMac certainly has corner bleed but be thankful it doesnt have the gradient issue.

You may get a better one if exchanged or you may get a worse one - as suggested by the above posters.

Either way, Im looking to go back to an iMac when ever the situation may arise for me

6. iMac22 thread starter macrumors member

Does anyone have pics of the gradient issue? How do I check for that?
    Oh I'm sure that my screen has an issue...I'm asking here to measure how bad it is compared to what people have been reporting. I also found two dead/stuck pixels.... :(

7. Nordichund macrumors 6502

If you read the threads about the screen, you will find that some people are quite happy to have an iMac with some backlight bleed, whereas some like myself find them totally impossible to live with. The important question is what you think? It's your machine and you have to look at it every time you use it.

Sending these machines back is not fun, but that's short term compared to keeping a machine you're not going to be happy with, if that's the case.

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I'm not "happy" with any deficiencies. However, my backlight bleed is such that I do not even see it unless I turn all lights off in pitch blackness and put up a black screen. It is not at a noticeable level to me in normal usage of my machine even in movies at full screen with dark scenes.

I recall your active participation in our gradient discussions but I'm sorry to say I cannot recall your specific circumstance. I know you returned a 24" iMac at least once. Did you end up with one with absolutely no gradient or backlight bleed?

I'm on the second replacement LCD panel in my current 24" alumiMac and it has no gradient issues. It does have mild backlight bleed as I previously mentioned. I've yet to see photos of a 24" iMac that doesn't have some.

I've yet to own an LCD display period that didn't have some. A few years back I owned a Dell 2007FP 20" monitor that had the same panel as the Apple Cinema Display at the time and it had bleed that made my current iMac look perfect in comparison.

9. iMac22 thread starter macrumors member

Well to be honest when my screen is full of windows I cannot notice it. But whenever I boot into XP through bootcamp it annoys the heck out of me.

The lower / upper left screen is what is very noticeable. I did notice that when viewing solid black images it's not really apparent. But it is when that portion of the screen isnt being used...like in the picture where it's booting into XP or the batman begins picture where the movie is in widescreen and the top and bottom borders aren't being filled.

10. SilentCrs macrumors regular

You're always going to get bleed. It's by design. Otherwise you'd have LEDs running the length and width of the screen and it would look ridiculous from a lighting standpoint.

11. kappaman210 macrumors newbie

Considering that almost every iMac has the gradient problem, I'm sure yours does as well.

12. Nordichund macrumors 6502

After 3 iMacs and 5 months, some compensation from Apple, great customer service, I ended up with a single quad core early 2008 Mac Pro (still more power than I need) with 23" ACD (no gradient or bleed) It was expensive, but i'm finally enjoying the Apple experience.

iMac22 I know what you mean about booting into Windows, but what annoyed me the most was watching DVDs with the bleed, since I sometimes have to work using DVDs. Like I say good luck in whatever you decide.

13. ceres macrumors regular

Did the same in 3 months and went for the octa mp with edu discount.
    Great value and quality. I am also looking forward to the next MAJOR update in late summer/fall hoping that Apple will reach core image quality of the white 24in again.

14. PCNot macrumors newbie

Dude, what do you expect ... you have Windoze installed :eek: