iPad HELP: downgrade iOS on first gen iPad without shsh blobs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by davemcq, Oct 16, 2014.

1. davemcq macrumors newbie

Ok all you helpful apple users, I need help. I guess this boils down to a single issue, the SHSH blobs. I can not find a definitive answer to whether I can downgrade iOS without having my own previously saved SHSH blobs.

I see How-to's that indicate it's possible. I see strongly stated and repeated comments that it is not possible. I'm a techie but I've never delved into any use of an iOS device that is outside of Apple's intended use. (BTW, How can Apple think its a good idea to leave users stuck with an iOS that's inferior to a previous version?)

I desperately want to downgrade and i've seen some pretty intricate explanations as to how it is possible. So, yes? no? Help me out please.

Thanks, Dave

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

SHSH blobs are a requirement. They are needed to downgrade an iPad 1.

3. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I still have and occasionally use a first generation iPad and all the backtalk of how 5.1.1 lags is confusing.

(I especially enjoy the music app as 5.1 presents music at its iOS finest, IMHO.)

4. davemcq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your feedback.

But why not? Is it truly impossible? Why?

Some of these threads i've read discuss various methods for getting around the SHSH blobs issue. These seem to involve techniques like redirecting the iOS authentication to a different internet location (cydia?), creating substitute SHSH blobs (iFaith?) and "stitching" alternative information into an existing SHSH blob.(redsn0w?)

I tried the beginning of one method and ran into an error. In researching that workaround and seeing the wide variety of methods and the disparity of opinions on whether it's even possible, I figured I'd save some time by trying to get a clear answer. Even a complete method that claims to work would be better than me trying to piece together 3 or 4 methods that I got from 3 or 4 different conversations.

I also don't want to let it go because hackers crack seemingly whatever they want to crack. I don't know any technical info about the process but a hypothetical solution could be something like, true, the encryption can not be hacked but maybe the authentication process can be disabled, modified or otherwise circumvented. There's always a way and this hardware is old enough that if there is a way, it would be implemented by now. It's just hard to believe that it is really, truly *impossible.* Maybe if the people who make the "hacking" tools I mentioned explained why it is impossible, I could begin to accept that Apple really has left me high and dry after downgrading my device from fully functional and acceptable to semi-functional and semi-annoying.

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE GRUMBLE.

----------

My issue is safari crashes. Disabling iCloud bookmarks synchronization seems to help.

5. ivandr macrumors regular

Because all three of those things you mentioned are used to revert to prior iOS versions... HOWEVER they are all predicated on an individual having the SHSH blobs for their particular device*

*Thats relavent to A4 and earlier devices. A5 and up (and iOS 6+) are much more complicated and merely having SHSH blobs isn't enough anymore.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont waste your time researching and finding wild threads online or various youtube videos.
    They are all bogus.
    Its not possible to downgrade without shsh blobs ever.
    Only device you could downgrade without valid blobs is the iphone 3G.
    With that on earlier ios builds you could just select the old firmware file via itunes and restore.
    All newer devices past that need full shsh blobs or you wont get anywhere.

7. glsillygili macrumors 6502

glsillygili

It is possible but not recommended and you have to boot it up with help from your computer.

----------

Is it really that bad? I'm thinking about buying one for some casual use. I can't imagine it being that bad. Is it like the iPad 2 on iOS 8.0

8. davemcq thread starter macrumors newbie

PREVIOUS MESSAGE: It is possible but not recommended and you have to boot it up with help from your computer.

See what I'm saying!? I've now gotten both responses. It isn't possible and it is possible. I realize this may not work but ***is there a How To or a Walkthrough for the process?***
    ----------

PREVIOUS MESSAGE: Is it really that bad? I'm thinking about buying one for some casual use. I can't imagine it being that bad. Is it like the iPad 2 on iOS 8.0

It's not really that bad. I just think its asinine that it was more stable on the prior iOS and it is impossible to go back. To describe the issues: 1. Browser crashes, not just Safari. 2. Moderate Lag, which is especially annoying while waiting for the browser to restart. 3. Some apps crash occasionally. I found that disabling iCloud bookmarks synching helped with the browser issue. I'm close to the point of giving up the dream and accepting what I have. I don't know anything about iOS 8 on iPad 2.

Dave

9. Snide, Oct 18, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

I have an original iPad and when it was on OS 3.2, Safari crashed so often that it was practically unusable. I switched to Atomic Web Browser and it helped immensely.

You might recall that the iPad was widely panned for having a paltry 256MB RAM, as the iPhone at the time already had 512MB.

It's going to be a sweet upgrade when I get the new iPad Air 2!

10. Pow! macrumors member

Pow!

Downgrade from iOS 5 to what?

I have the same iPad and haven't felt the need to downgrade.

11. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Why would you want to downgrade to below 5.1? You will be able to put like... 3 apps on it...

12. davemcq thread starter macrumors newbie

Pow!- the recommended iOS4 is 4.3.3 or 4.3.5... although i will never be using them again apparently.

Snide- Thanks for the browser tip! Definitely will be trying that.

Apple Nerd- i don't remember ever having an issue with limited number of apps...

My downgrading endeavor is all over but the shouting.

Thanx everyone.

13. glsillygili macrumors 6502

glsillygili

I just ordered an iPad from Amazon so when I get my hands on it I would be happy to help you. :)