help downgrading first gen ipod touch 3.1.3 to..well, before 3.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Hero321, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Hero321 macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded to 3.1.2, now 3.1.3 firmware for my first generation ipod touch. I paid for it ($4.95). I'm not entirely sure what I had before--through a little research I think it may have been 2.2.1--but my battery life is nothing as it was before the update. I'm looking to restore it to this firmware with the hope that the previous battery length will follow. Any push in the right direction would be appreciated. No need for a "baby" guide or anything, I can probably figure out what I have to do if I just knew what to do and the order in which to do them.

For the record, I tried just downloading the 2.2.1 firmware, entering dfu mode, and option-restoring on the most current itunes. I was given an error 20, and then subsequent attempts gave me error 1600.

Thanks.

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

3. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I recall quite a few people expressing similar battery issues when upgrading from 2.XX to 3.XX one of the fixes widely used was to do a clean restore and setup as a new device rather than a restore from backup.

4. Hero321 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply elpmas. I actually already have the file I think I need, I just don't know how to force it to actually restore.

I have tried altering my settings: disabling wifi, push, lowering brightness and the volume limit. I didn't see much improvement from these changes. Thanks tadad, I may just try that and see how it goes. However, I'd still like to be able to restore since the ipod also runs significantly slower with the new additions; I may want to downgrade regardless of the battery.

5. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I think this how the process goes...

When you have your iPod attached to your computer, hit restore while holding shift. this will open up a window allowing you to choose a file. You will then select on the firmware you downloaded. Itll take a few minutes, but this should downgrade your 3.1.3 firmware.

6. Hero321 thread starter macrumors newbie