Help! Download speeds!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jbone77777, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Jbone77777 macrumors newbie

Help! I have terrible download speeds! At the moment, I am downloading sims 3, which is moving at a solid 9/kbs. It does this for all dowloads. My internet is normally fast! I have no applications running that would slow the download speed (Besides this one page in chrome). Can someone help me resolve this issue? (BTW I'm a big computer idiot)

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

What machine are you using? Whats the specification? How old is it? Wired or over wifi? What speed do you normally get?

Answer these and we maybe able to help you.

3. Jbone77777 thread starter macrumors newbie

I am using a Mac OS X Version 10.6.8, wifi, AT&T Router, and i have always gotten this download speed.

4. Virginaustralia macrumors regular

Wow 9kb/s is crazy slow. Check with your provider and maybe its coz you went over your limit?? not sure but my internet is always at a solid 14MB/s which is crazy fast compared to yours :confused:

Also the Sims download server may have download limits, many sites have this to keep a load off their servers

5. Jbone77777 thread starter macrumors newbie

any help please?

----------

Not the EA Servers, because my friend just downloaded it in 20 minutes, and it's gonna take me over 200 hrs. Not connection either because I can watch videos in 480p with no buffering whatsoever. First thing i've downloaded this month, and we pay on time.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Test your actual speed using this (or any similar) link.

http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

If you get any pop ups saying try this or download that to speed up your Mac, just ignore. Just begin the test and post your download/upload result.

7. Jbone77777 thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

Shocking! Is it possible for you to connect your Mac to your router with an ethernet cable? Then at least you will know if its a wifi problem or not. I suspect there is an issue with your ISP though.

Also any other computers or devices you can test your wifi/broadband with?

9. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I second this advice. It's always good to eliminate Wi-Fi when troubleshooting speed issues.

Do you know how to get stats out of your modem? (you can often do this by browsing to http://192.168.1.1 or sometimes http://192.168.0.1). Specifically "line rate" (also known as "sync rate") and "attenuation" are important, but it's probably best to include a screenshot of the whole stats page.

10. ScoobyMcDoo, Jul 26, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013

ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

Power cycle your router, then try again.

If that doesn't help, call your provider. I know of a small business in my area that just switch to AT&T and have been really disappointed - bandwidth is dismal.

Also, I'm not sure what plan you bough, but it appears that AT&T dsl plans range from 768Kbps to 6Mbps.

One other though - since you referred to yourself as a "computer idiot", I wonder if you bothered to set up WPA on your router. If you have left your router wide open with no security, then there is also the possibility that your are sharing your bandwidth with all your neighbors.