Help! Downloaded 10.5.7 via Software Update but fail to install. :(

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hypertech, May 19, 2009.

1. hypertech macrumors newbie

Hi,

Can anyone advise me of what to do with the above mentioned issue?

I reinstalled my OSX a few days ago and it's back to 10.5.2. After running software update, it has Mac OSX Update Combine (737MB in size). So I clicked install per usual. However, after I finished downloading the file and it offered to restart and install, the installation failed. Meaning during installation, it stops 1/8 of the whole "installation bar" for 8 hours or so and it didn't budge a bit ever since. >.<

I'm not sure what to do now. Should I try to download the combo update from Apple website (729MB in size, not sure why the one in software update version is bigger in size) instead? And try to install that one instead?

Please help.

2. Blackjack07 macrumors member

Blackjack07

I had the same problem most recently, updating my MacBookpro to 10.5.7, and I got 'stuck' after a little while, so it wasnt making any progress..
    I forced a shut down, and when I booted, and checked my version, it was updated. I ran software update, but nothing was there to update. Give it some time (I gave it about 30m) and then restart your machine, and check if it got updated.

Good luck, and perhaps you should consider backing up using Carbon Copy or Timemachine.

B07

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....if ever you have the slightest trouble with the software update version(s) it's usually best to manually download the combo updater and run it yourself, then you're sure it's completely updated everything it should have....oh yeah!

4. hypertech thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Blackjack07,

Thank you for your response. :)

I took your advice and forced a shut down and rebooted my mac. However, in my case, the software version is still 10.5.2 after restart. :( I have no idea why. And when I run software update, the mac osx update combine still appears. I assume the installation failed once again. :(

Maybe I should try for the third time and see how it goes again.

Thanks. :)

5. hypertech thread starter macrumors newbie

oh! ok, i will download the combo update and try to install that one then.

thanks! :)

6. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Clear out the /Library/Updates folder (except the index.plist) before you install the update. This is just to make sure the bad install file it downloaded through the automated update isn't unnecessarily taking up hard drive space.