Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
I am trying to download a media file of an internet site and save it to my hard drive on my new iMac system which currently still has Tiger installed. Difficulty is Safari opens the video on its page. Windows used to give the option of just saving it rather than viewing it and then saving it. This is the option I am after, but the browser does not seem to support it.

Have I got it wrong or is there a work around?

Thanks for any pointers.

ab2650

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
I am trying to download a media file of an internet site and save it to my hard drive on my new iMac system which currently still has Tiger installed. Difficulty is Safari opens the video on its page. Windows used to give the option of just saving it rather than viewing it and then saving it. This is the option I am after, but the browser does not seem to support it.

Have I got it wrong or is there a work around?

Thanks for any pointers.

First, are you sure the media is a file and not a stream?

Second, have you tried right clicking (or Control-clicking) the link to the media file and selecting "Download linked file?"

Finally, you can always try another browser than Safari, like Firefox or Opera.

steken

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2007
Many thanks

Brilliant! Thanks a lot for your reply to my post, that was just the answer I was looking for and it works.

A lot to get my head around switching from WIN-DOZE to OS X, really happy with my switch to Apple product and OS X.

Cheers, Steken

Bodiva

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2007
I have another question along these lines, and was just curious if anyone else may have run into this before.

I've been working on mac's for years so I had no problem offering to help a friend make the big switch from PC. So today when she ran across some music files online that she wanted to download, I of course instructed her to do the normal ctrl-click to download the linked file. The download appeared to start, but then immediately stopped and then in the progross line it said that the file did not exist. Seems fair enough, except that when I tried from my mac, the files downloaded with no problem.

Does anyone know if this might be a Safari issue, or a OS X issue, or some other issue that I'm not seeing?

She's running Tiger & Safari 2.0.4 (419.3)
I'm running Panther & Safari 1.3.2 (v312.6)

Here's the site we were trying to download from (it's a few Springsteen outtakes):
http://www.captainsdead.com/2007/02/03/please-baby-jesus-shine-a-light-on-us/

thanks!

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i am getting "no permissions to read file" when trying to download the outakes. seems to be an issue with the website as i can download stuff fine from the internet with safari

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.