Help downloading electronic copy of windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by woohoo, May 25, 2010.

1. woohoo macrumors newbie

I will be purchasing a new macbook pro for school this week and I am going to need to run some windows applications on it so i have decided to use bootcamp/vmware to run windows 7. Since I am a student I got windows 7 at a discounted price on the Microsoft's website. I bought it not realizing that they are not going to send a physical copy of windows 7, but an electronic download. I am wondering whether it is going to be possible to download the electronic download of windows 7 on my macbook pro or did i just waste 65 dollars.

They have two different types of downloads, the first one is an .exe file which i know can only be downloaded on pc's. The other is a type of iso file, is it possible to maybe burn the file on a disc or flash-drive and then download it from the disk onto my mac? Or can I just open that file directly from my mac and then download? Here is a copy of what the two files look like:

DLMWin7Pro64US.exe

Save file DLMWin7Pro64US.exe to your Desktop. After saving, run the file to install your new software.

DLMWin7Pro64US-ISO.exe

Alternate download for clean installation (required for XP and Vista 32-bit users)

Any help is appreciated

Thanks very much

2. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

Microsoft uses a download manager, so that is what the .exe is for. The .iso is the file you want. You should be able to burn it to dvd as a disc image, but you will need to download it at a friend's house or a library on a windows machine.

3. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

I'm in your same situation. I blieve the 65$ windows 7 is actually an upgrade. I believe you need windows 7 or vista already installed for it to work

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

5. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

My son did the .iso download and everything almost worked without having Vista or Xp already installed. Win7 did load just fine, but wouldn't register. A call to Microsoft got everything working just fine. This was doing the college download deal for Premium.

mg

6. turbobass macrumors 6502

Anyone know if they (MS) have a download-installer for XP?

7. woohoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Did your son burn the .iso file onto a CD then download it to his mac? If not could you briefly write down the steps your son took to get Win7 on his mac. I am somewhat knowledgeable about computers, but somethings I am not very experienced at.

Thanks very much for the help

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I posted a link to a YouTube video on how to burn an ISO in this recent thread http://forums.macrumors.com/wap/GetThread.php?t=921627

B

9. Macloven macrumors regular

Macloven

I'll get the blow by blow from him tonight. 99.9% sure he burned it to a disc on his Macbook using the disk utility.

mg