help dropped 3gs...upgrade to 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenbreadmmm, May 8, 2011.

1. greenbreadmmm macrumors regular

i have taken such good care of my 3gs. I have had it for almost 2 years and last night i dropped it off a balcony and the screen went white and then black lines went through it. I did a hard restart now it wont turn on nor is recognized by itunes.

Is there any chance the screen just got unplugged? (the screen was raised about 2 cm on the top part off the case) or is it just completely bricked? Do i get a 4 (not happy about this as iv been waiting for the 5) or do i have another option.?

thanks

2. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

Hmm...Maybe buy a cheap phone and use it for a couple of months until iPhone 5 or just get the current one.

3. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

By a used 3G or original iPhone off ebay and use it tell the next iPhone comes out. That or just get the 4...

4. Eduardo1971 macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

I was in a similar situation where my 3G S screen died last month.
    I really wanted to wait to the for the iPhone 5 to possibly upgrade.
    To make a long story short I went ahead and just upgraded to the iPhone 4.
    I do not regret my decision-the iPhone 4 is leaps and bounds over my old 3G S. The retina display is worth the upgrade alone!

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

You should pop open the cover to take a look inside. Could be just the front display which u can buy from places like ifixit for 100 bucks.

6. ann713 macrumors 6502a

If you're contemplating on getting the 4 or 5 eventually, it isn't worth fixing your 3GS at this point. You might as wait until the iPhone 5, (Which should be right on the horizon) and then decide whether to upgrade, to the 4/5. A dumb phone would be good choice right now.

7. andrewfrank macrumors newbie

max!!!!

8. greenbreadmmm thread starter macrumors regular

well i already bought an iphone 4, I wanted to just get a "dumb phone" but i am grandfathered in for unlimited data. I am going to see if someone can fix my 3gs for cheap and maybe return my 4 within 30 days.

OR

if the 5 is announced at wwdc i will return it then too (as that is 29 days from my point of purchase)

oh and hi andy! haha

9. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

You could probably sell it for enough on eBay that combined with the sale price of your iPhone 4 you could buy the 5 retail and not be out that much.

10. greenbreadmmm thread starter macrumors regular

only thing is it has personal data on the 3gs that i wont be able to clean off.