HELP! dropped macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pixie-twix, Feb 12, 2011.

1. pixie-twix macrumors newbie

HELP! dropped macbook

someone kicked my macbook off the edge of my bed, only a a foot onto carpet. no physical damage and it worked well.. only there was a dvd in the disk drive and now it is stuck, with whirring noises when i try to eject.

any idea if you think the disk has been knocked out of place or if there is internal damage?

thanks

2. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

Take a look at the slot the dvd would slide in and out of. Does it look bent. Is it still wide enough for the dvd to eject out of?

3. skidmarc macrumors member

Sounds like the disc is knocked off-center. I highly doubt you did any damage to the drive itself, though you could if it continues to spin off balance or it will just scratch your disc.

I don't know much about Apple's warranty, but I had my opti-drive out and apart the other day, wasn't much to it in the uni-body model (7 screws total I think). Once the opti-drive is out you should be able to easily remove the disc.

You could try to remove it with some tweezers if you don't want to remove the drive. I don't know if it have the true "manual" eject function (i.e. paperclip).

Others may have better input.

4. skidmarc, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  5. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

It's impossible to tell if there is internal damage to it. I would have a Genius to take a look at it as soon as possible if I were you.

6. pixie-twix thread starter macrumors newbie

thankyou!! this has relaxed me a little, yes i saw a technique with 2 cards so i have been trying to do that but dont want to cause any damage than has so already.

will get i checked 2morrow by the university technician and go from there.

thanks again

7. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

When you boot and hold the mouse button, what happens?

It seems that your best bet is to follow the instructions here on how to remove the optical drive from your Mac:
    http://www.ifixit.com/

8. pixie-twix thread starter macrumors newbie

there is no damage and nothing has warped. everything looks as good as new. it doesnt make the noise the whole time, just when i try to eject.

sounds like its just spinning and i can feel it moving at the bottom.

9. pixie-twix thread starter macrumors newbie

nope nothing happens, i think it is properly wedged in. :(

but thanks i will have a go :)

10. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

No wonder Apple hates moving parts...

Hope you can get it out of there, OP.

11. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

why not take it in and let Apple take care of it. If you are not experienced taking apart laptops u could get yourself in trouble.

12. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Eh..its not a bad idea but you don't have to be a "computer surgeon" to figure out how to take it apart. Plenty of online guides if you have another internet device.

13. Jdstew1234 macrumors regular

I have had the same thing happen to an old laptop I had, I had to take it apart and pull the disk out

14. c0l3a5h3r macrumors member

c0l3a5h3r

Take it to your nearest apple store. I'm sure that the staff there would be more then glad to help you.