HELP: Dropped phone and glass screen is cracked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nicolanicola, Sep 24, 2011.

1. nicolanicola macrumors member

I just rung apple and they said it'd be £140 to repair it!! It's just the glass though the LCD or whatever beneath it still works because it's as just as touh sensitive as before.

I've googled iPhone cracked glass and there's so many sites saying they repair them and then there's do it yourself kits. I don't know what to do. Can someone more informed than me advise me how best and cheapest to get it fixed. I don't want it looking nasty I want it to look like the same glass as before.

2. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

This has happened to me twice (once to wife's iPhone and once to mine). Apple charged us $199 USD each time.

This is not a repair, but rather a complete iPhone replacement. Not sure if that makes things any better for you...but a completely new device for $199 wasn't bad considering mine had been beat up.

Another thought With iPhone 5 coming out. Paying the extra for a replacement iPhone 4 will give you better resale value if you plan on getting the iPhone 5 and selling the iPhone 4. Getting your iPhone 4 replaced would give you a mint condition phone just weeks before the iPhone 5 launch.

Cosmo

3. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Unless you are living in South Korea, replacing the iPhone at the Genius Bar usually means getting a service "refurbished" phone - not that it looks any different from a new one.

4. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

5. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Is there anything else wrong with the phone? My home button was getting sticky and despite the cracked screen was replaced for free

6. Joybulb macrumors regular

Joybulb

Get a square trade warranty next time, they cover any damage, even water, and it's half the cost of apple care

7. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Understand, it's a refurb and not off the factory floor new. In my opinion, refurbs are generally better since they've been tested and any previous issues were flushed out. However, you are correct. The wife and I both got refurbs when this issue happened to us. I'm very satisfied with both devices and they maintain your original Apple warranties.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I did the same a couple months ago. Looked at the detailed how-to guides for self repair and it is a LOT of work. I used to be into model railroading, soldering tiny grain-of-rice bulbs and DCC decoders into N-scale locomotives is highly detailed and difficult work - and I wouldn't BEGIN to touch an iPhone 4 screen replacement.

I sent mine off to one of the independent repair houses on a Tuesday, they fixed and shipped it back on Wednesday, I had it in my hands on Thursday. Similar cost to doing it through Apple but I don't live near an Apple store so this was more convenient and expeditious.

9. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

To the people who have cracked their iPhone screens, were you using a case?

I had a really bad experience with those refurbished iPhone's that Apple gives you. Went through 4 in a 3 week period when I had the 3G model. All four had different issues. When they gave me the fifth they said if this one had problems too they'd just give me a new 3GS. Luckily the fifth one was solid.

10. DanteMann macrumors 6502

Another example how people refuse to admit this phone is poorly thought out. So many customers with cracked screens, but they still go on about a premium, extremely well built device. :confused:

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

It's true, the iPhone 4's design is so flawed.

Which is why i'm waiting for a redesigned 5, the iPhone 4's design is horrible.

12. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

this device would be much more durable with a anodized aluminum or other metal back. this way the whole thing isn't a horribly thought out portable device. the glass screen is fine though. just get a decent case or wait till the iphone 35 for a synthetic diamond screen.

13. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

So you don't live near an Apple store? Because my sister dropped her iPhone and Apple quoted £140, but she then happened to be in London and took it to the Apple store and paid £25 to get it fixed.

14. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

That's the back glass. The front glass is $199.

15. dickdaney macrumors regular

Had a 3G, 3GS, and now the 4. I've never cracked a screen. I've used cases and I've went case-less. People just Need to learn to take care of their stuff.

16. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I fully agree. The glass backing is insanely slipperly and the antenna isn't exactly great to grasp in your hand. Ditto the flat nature of the backing. A curved backing is much more condusive to hand holding.

HOWEVER......I find that a good case is a simple solution to all this. I use a Case-Mate Egg Case (silicone) and it provides an awesome grip and protects my phone.

At the same time, a return to a curved back and something along the lines of the original iPhone (aluminum backing) would make me consider using the next iPhone sans case as long as it isn't raining outside.

17. Votekinky06 macrumors 6502

I just took my sister-in-law to the apple store with her broken screen this morning. I was extremely polite, asked for nothing for free, and said I just wanted to see how much it would cost for repair to see if I could feasibly pay for it for her(she's in high school). They happily replaced it for free, no questions asked, and suggested a case that I purchased.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=29.492065,-95.095469

18. AnthonyHarris macrumors regular

AnthonyHarris

Flawed if you throw it on the floor... Yes. lol.

19. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

This philosophy has been debunked many times. People slip, get wet, fall down, drop things, satellites fall out of the sky, and don't get me started on kids... :p Life happens. Accidents do not equal abuse.

20. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

I did not have a cover on mine. My wife had a bumper on hers.

I placed my phone between my legs while driving, forgot it was there and then got out of my truck and it fell about 4 feet to the concrete....shattered (no case).

The wife's iPhone slipped out of her hand while getting out of the car. Fell about 2 feet, bounced off the bumper and landed on a small rock. Put a long crack (not shattered) across the face.

The iPhone is poorly designed in the aspect of using glass that shatters this easily. During the launch event, Steve and Co make it sound like it was bullet proof. Stuff like "stronger than the windshields used on airplanes, etc.). Overall, I wouldn't trade my iPhone for anything else.

I still go naked, and the wife still uses a bumper.

In the end, I'd rather have the iPhone 4 than the 3GS...and another phone is out of the question!!! I guess I'm fortunate the replacement cost doesn't put me out on the streets. Of course, if it did I wouldn't have it in the first place.