HELP DU will not recognize my new internal drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Shymac123, Sep 18, 2014.

1. Shymac123 macrumors newbie

So keep in mind I am new to Mac. Tech savy and a wiz with PC so bare with me

I bought a unibody 13' MacBook Pro from kijiji with no disks at all .. Harddrive was pooched when I bought it so I went and purchased a WB 750g 720 rpm and the snow leopard OS 10.6.3 to start completely fresh.

after replacing the harddrive (which was so simple ) and inserting my install disk my MPB does not recognize the hard drive at all in DU just the snow leopard disk.

Now I know the hard drive is most likely bare and needs to be formatted, I've been told I could do that using the OS installer disk from DU. I've clicked the disk and nothing... It goes to the apple screen and just sits there.. The disk even sounds like it has stopped running.

I don't have any other apple computers or anything and now I'm stuck.. PLEASE HELP

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It does not sound like you are doing anything wrong. Even a blank unformatted disk should show up in Disk Util from the Snow Leopard boot DVD.

Sounds like you got either a bad disk or the drive cable is bad (fairly common).

Do you maybe have an external enclosure you can use to test the disk?

3. JohnDS macrumors 65816

Most likely a bad drive cable. They tend to be fragile. As Weaselboy suggested, put the drive into an external enclosure and see if DU will then recognize and format it. If it will, the problem is likely the drive cable.