Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Hi. Been a while since I have been here. I have an old Dual booting mac with OSX on one disc drive and OS 9.2.2 on the other disc drive. Well Its been a while since I have been on it and I am finally getting back to my old games. However I switched to OS 9.2.2 and can't seem to boot back into OS X. In fact my OS X drive isnt even showing up. I remember you had to hold key down or something to get back to X back cant remember.
Thx.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Since they're on separate drives, you should be in good shape although it's unusual for an OS X disk not to show up in the "Startup Disk" control panel in OS 9. Does your OS X disk show up on the desktop? If not, you really should investigate that-offhand, it could be something simple like a loose ribbon cable, your ribbon cable could be bad, or the drive may have died.

In any case, the easy route that works on some Macs is to hold down "X" while powering on the computer. That doesn't work on everything, but on computers where it does work it will boot OS X. This is handy when you are dual booting off the same partition.

Since you have two separate drives, you can also bring up Boot Picker assuming that the computer is new enough to have it(the form we know now, that persists to current Macs, came into being with AGP-based Macs-that means the Sawtooth, Pismo, and newer). To access this, you hold down "Option" while powering on the computer. In PPC Macs, it will bring up a blue screen that will then show each bootable volume as a tile that you can click on. Once selected, you tell the computer to boot off it.

paulwgraber

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 13, 2013
Well Its weird. I had a total of four drives in it. 2 were backup. So I took all the drives out and just put my OS X and OS 9 drive in the bay were the drives are standing up (The non IDE/33 one). What is the diff between the two bays?
So with just the two drives on cable select and my osx as master and os 9 as slave I can see them now. But when I put the backups in as well the whole thing gets weird and they dissappear. Should I keep the OS x and 9 in the one bay and the backups in the IDE/33? Which config do you recommend? I guess I could just leave them out as it works with just the two in there. Also my Apple cinema G4 display's stand broke (****** design to begin with IMO) so was wondering what a good monitor option would be besides the original its used with. Thx again.
[doublepost=1533907533][/doublepost]side note I meant the IDE/66 one its not 33 right?

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
Hold down X after you turn it on to boot into OS X.

Boot while holding ALT (option) to bring up the boot manager. I'd do ALT first to see what comes up.

LightBulbFun

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2013
London UK
Hi. Been a while since I have been here. I have an old Dual booting mac with OSX on one disc drive and OS 9.2.2 on the other disc drive. Well Its been a while since I have been on it and I am finally getting back to my old games. However I switched to OS 9.2.2 and can't seem to boot back into OS X. In fact my OS X drive isnt even showing up. I remember you had to hold key down or something to get back to X back cant remember.
Thx.

if OS X really is on its own HDD, then it wont show up in OS 9 or OS 9s Start up disk since the OS X disk was probably was partitioned without OS 9 drivers.

so to boot back into OS X you will need to follow @bunnspecial instructions and then once your in OS X if you wish to set the computer to keep booting to OS X, you can use OS Xs start up disk selector.

Reactions: philgxxd
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.