help! dvd drive not working and video ram failed?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jasrach, Jan 4, 2009.

1. jasrach macrumors newbie

i brought my macbook in april this year, so its still newish, and havent had any problems with it, until, murphy's law- i go overseas!

i definatly brought apple care (3 year warrenty?) its on my reciept, but when i check the warrenty online is says basic 1 year warrenty for my serial number. gah. anyways, thats not the problem, it just doesnt help the situation.

my dvd drive has just stopped working, it used to make a horrible clicking noise when a cd was inserted and then work fine ( it always made that noise, i just thought it was ok, now, im not so sure!) then a few days ago i inserted a dvd and nothing, no noise, and it didnt recognise there was a dvd inside. the eject button done nothing. i had to tilt my macbook and tap it a few times till it fell out.

i ran tech tool, and it says my video ram failed.

since i am overseas i dont have the OS to re-upload and i cant just take it back to an apple store for help. i have no idea what to do! and im pretty dumb when it comes to computers too!! im in china now of that helps (arent these guys ment to know their stuff with computers?! should i just go to an apple store in beijing?)

2. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Yes go to the Apple store and let them sort it out.....

On the subject of Applecare, after you buy it, you need to register it to your computer......i did mine online, or its not going to show up.........

You should have an Applecare agrement number that came in the Applecare service plan box.........

Register it !!!!

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Go to the Apple Store in Beijing. Apple notebooks have worldwide warranty support so they should be able to help you out.

And yes like the cogsinister said you need to register the Applecare code that you purchased.

4. jasrach thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, theres a really....really good chance i forgot to register my applecare. :eek: and i cant do it now, since my code is in storage in australia, and im in china.

i guess i have until april to get it fixed under the 1 year warranty, otherwise ill just have to buy a new mac. grrrr. or just not have a cv drive?