Help -- DVD (from VHS of my content) wont import to iMovie.

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ZenFire, Feb 25, 2011.

1. ZenFire macrumors newbie

Hi, had a TV show on Public TV in mid 90's, and have 55 1-hour VHS tapes I have converted to DVD, and they won't load into iMovie, or even be recognized. They will play on my desktop.

I have MpegStreamClip, Wondershare DVD ripper, MacTheRipper, and nothing seems to allow the Sony-made DVD's to open a format that can be recognized and imported to iMovie for editing.

I do own a copy of FCE4, yet I can't seem to make it load to my computer either....rookie. I make content, not import and edit, yet I need to now.

1. Should I go find the VHS to DVD deck and import VHS straight to iMovie?

2. Is there a very simple solution to get the DVD's I've burned for 50+ hours onto iMovie so I can edit cuts and launch to YouTube, etc?

THANK YOU.

2. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

iMovie won't let you import the files off the DVD if the DVD was authored to be played in a standard DVD player, which, from the sound of your question, is the case.

If I were in your position, I would try ripping the DVDs first (Handbrake would be my first choice if you only have access to OSX, and DVD Decrypter and AnyDVD are great options if you have access to Windows. I've also used RipIt on OSX with some level of success, though it wouldn't be my first or second option), and using MPEGStremclip to convert them into a format that's compatible with iMovie.

If that doesn't work, and quality is very important to you, I would look into the Canopus line of products. I've used the ADVC-300 combined with a quality VCR to get archive-quality digitizations.