HELP! DVD Stuck in Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Grasbak, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Grasbak macrumors 6502

Oh no! I popped a DVD into my iMac drive that my wife wanted to look at - i thought it seemed thinner than normal...... when i come to eject it wont. Now I look at the cover and it says tray drive only, not for apple slot loading!

I have a mate in applecare who got me to restart holding the mouse and boot into openfirmware and type eject cd - not working

it make the eject noise and the icon goes but the dvd does not appear - u cant see it at all - then a second later it maket he noise when you put the dvd in and it reloads the dvd (as thought you had put it in for the first time!)

Any help ideas! I am armed with a pair of tweezers but not sure its a good idea!

I dont have applecare!

2. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

That happened to me the day I got my MacBook. I was really mad, and it was the Leopard Drop-In Disc. So I used the tweezers, not to take the whole cd out,but to move it to the middle. Then push eject. While doing this the grey film thingy in the disk drive might seem like it is bending, at least that happened to me and it got back into place when I inserted another disk and ejected it again.

So your best bet is using the tweezers :)

Good luck
    :apple::apple:

3. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You could always try ejecting it with the iMac on it's side (you'd have to hold the iMac up, obviously). This shouldn't do any harm to the iMac...

4. Grasbak thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks - have given that a go! no luck......

does the dvd go straight in to the imac? its really hard to see inside but should i be able to see the edge of the dvd when i look in?

5. 1994 macrumors newbie

ive been reading topics on this all day. My imac ate a dvd that I put in to burn. I can hear it makes a little repeating noise as it tries to read it, and then when it tries to eject, theres almost a popping noise at the end and it tries to read it again. my problem isnt forcing it to eject because I can easily do that. its just the actual eject doesn't do anything.

here is a video I took, so you can hear the sound it makes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp0GIAhlqWA

I think this is similar to the original posters problem as well.

6. 1994 macrumors newbie

after fiddling around by holding another cd in the drive and moving it around, I got the disk to mount, and am now burning the dvd. It still wont eject though. wtf.

7. taijuan macrumors member

My mother managed to put one of those mini DVDs from a video camera into her mac mini and it wouldn't eject. We ended up getting it out with tweezers and by picking the computer up and holding the drive slot so that it was facing down. Gravity seemed to help.

8. allbrokeup macrumors 6502

quick applescript....

do shell script "drutil tray eject "

^ Type that in Script Editor to Emergency and Force Eject a stuck Disc.

Cheers!!

allbrokeup

9. SamoanDude macrumors regular

I put a bad CD (coaster) in along side the stuck DVD, then push eject while pulling on the whole shebang. This was able to suck both of them out

10. zaney macrumors regular

I once got a DVD stuck in my iMac, I managed to get it out by shoving a bit of cardboard in the drive while the disk was spinning, and wiggling it so that it rubbed against the disk and stops it spinning (you should be able to hear it). Your mac should get grumpy at this and force eject the disk.
    At least that's what mine did, it might help.

11. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Too bad Apple got rid of the emergency eject button located inside the CD/DVD drive. We had a 400MHz iMac and anytime a CD/DVD wouldn't eject, we would just take a paper clip and press the hidden button inside.