Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
I inserted a dvd of Beauty and the Beast for my grandson and it won't play on my G5. When I put it in my iBook it plays OK. Other dvd's play in my G5. why not this one?????

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
Is it clean? I only say that from personal experience with small sticky fingers. Some drives are fussier than others at reading past surface marks and scratches.

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
Not familiar with VLC so I don't know if it will play or not. When I insert the disc it just sits there for a while and then ejects itself. Usually when I insert a dvd I can hear it begin to whirl and then dvd player opens and we're good to go. When I put this same dvd in my iBook it responds almost immediately and opend dvd player and everything is fine. I want to play it on the larger screen I have hooked up to my G5 but. . . . . One thing I did notice is that I have a newer version of dvd player in my G5 than my iBook. Shouldn't make any difference should it??? I mean all my other dvd's seem to play ok in the G5

BLDun

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 22, 2005
frankblunt - Yea, I thought that might a problem too so I checked it and it is perfectly clean. In fact it is almost brand new.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, it's not sounding like a problem at an application level. As frankblundt said, make sure the disk is clean and maybe invest in a CD cleaner for your G5's drive. In the meantime, I guess you could try a quick PRAM reset, if only to rule that out as a problem (it probably won't help but it won't do any harm). :)

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
I'm running into a similar problem. I have a 1.8G G5 PowerMac.
It doesn't seem to read DVDs. CDs no problem. But some backup data I have on DVDs has me a bit worried.
Any ideas?

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
Flynnstone said:
I'm running into a similar problem. I have a 1.8G G5 PowerMac.
It doesn't seem to read DVDs. CDs no problem. But some backup data I have on DVDs has me a bit worried.
Any ideas?

This happened to me when I "tested" Front Row on my Power Mac G5, DVDs stopped reading and I had to reset the pram to get it to work again.

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
Same here.
Brand new Powermac G5 won't play DVDs that my husband's ibook plays with no problem.

I often get -36 errors on the G5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.