iPhone XS Max Help! E sim issue!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Dec 7, 2018.

1. tl01 macrumors 68020

No one can help me do the e sim thing at Verizon. No one at the store knows what to do and we have talked to 4 people at customer service. They want to know all sorts of useless stuff like where I bought my max and how many kids I have.... and they keep calling my max an att phone. That they need a e sim for my att phone! This isn’t going well!!! Customer service can’t even seem to figure out what an e sim is. They want my att phone number!??

2. Tom2D2 macrumors newbie

Tom2D2

Are you already a Verizon customer with the XS Max?
    If so, are you trying to combine two phones into one with two numbers?

I did that earlier tonight (already a Verizon Customer on both phones, just merged them into one with two numbers).

If you are coming to Verizon as a new customer, the process is easier yet.

In any case, I can guide you…just need to know what you're doing...

3. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

I am already an att and Verizon customer. My max has att as primary and Verizon will be my e sim.

4. Tom2D2 macrumors newbie

Tom2D2

OK, so you have two phones (the XS Max via AT&T and another phone with Verizon), and you want to use the Verizon line on the AT&T phone, correct?

In order to do this, the phone needs to be unlocked. If it is carrier locked to AT&T, Verizon cannot activate the esim for their line.

5. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Yes. I did this same setup today and it works. Do this:

1. Call Tech Support 1-866-221-4096 and be clear that you're NOT looking to start a new line of service, but transfer your existing service from a physical SIM to the eSIM.
    2. They need to delete your physical SIM card information
    3. They need to input the IMEI number under the Digital SIM info in Settings on your phone
    4. This will begin activation and generate a QR code they will email you.
    5. Scan it, and it should work.
    6. Activation and connection to LTE takes about 5 minutes.

6. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

They just told me I have to call att again!! Ugh!

7. Tom2D2 macrumors newbie

Tom2D2

8. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Is the phone you're trying to do this on unlocked?

9. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thank you! I am reading the rep your instructions. But he needs to send me the 3rd degree of security verification and he can’t send it to my Verizon phone for some odd reason! Lol!
    --- Post Merged, Dec 7, 2018 ---
    Totally!

10. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Essentially, it's activated like an Apple Watch. Keep your Verizon SIM in the phone until you've scanned the QR code, and then take it out and put in your AT&T SIM. It'll take about 5 minutes for it to activate, and then you can go through the setup process.

11. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

I could see the we scanned the whole time until now that he put in the digital imei number in and now it is saying configuration failed and it won’t open the scanner.

12. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

He can send it to your iCloud email account. My Verizon rep had to do that after I got disconnected with the first rep attempt and had no cellular on my Max (Verizon phone).

The rep needs to input your digital SIM IMEI number which you find under Settings > General > About.

If the rep does the steps right, he should then be able to send you the email with the QR code. I had to take the Verizon SIM out of my phone first, in order to move the Verizon SIM to eSIM. Otherwise, the QR code failed (saying it had expired). My rep had never done the eSIM before so it took a little while.

13. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

I spent 4 hours on the phone and went into the store. Ultimately tech support got it to work.

14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Going to the store was my next move, if the second rep didn't get my cellular back. Four hours is crazy.

I wish we could use Siri to switch between the carriers. "Hey, Siri. Enable Verizon."

15. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

We got it to work!!!!! Thank you for the help!!! The ATT confusion that they wanted me to call them is because the primary line is ATT. The people couldn’t understand that it was not related!!!!!

Thanks for the steps! That totally helped!!
    Yes! It is unlocked:).

Thanks again for your help!!

16. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Yea, cwosigns has been a big help to people today. Glad you got it working. Welcome to your new phone. it is like having a new phone all over again.

17. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

Agreed!! It isn’t like a new phone all over again!!

One more question please if anyone sees this. I see both data plans..I see att is being used now. If I switch to Verizon...will that switch which line my texts are coming from? I have unlimited on both and would love to use one or the other when one has bad service. Does that make sense?! But am wondering if my texts will then look like they are coming from a different number?

Thank you again! I did read the stuff from apple...I promise! I am just still unclear!
    The store was worse!! I’m glad they finally helped you though!!! Wow! That was sure a challenge! One rep told me I didn’t understand what I was asking.

18. techiegirl macrumors 65816

techiegirl

You choose one number for your iMessages and the other number will only receive SMS. It doesn’t matter which line is your data line. The iMessage number remains the same until you change it.

Texts you send will be from the last # you sent a message to the same person. If it’s a new person, you then select which # you want to send from.

19. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

One of the people who mistransferred me just called back and offered me a bill credit! Omg! Hilarious!
    Cool! So some messages can be from one line and others from another. SMS is only for one of the two? So if work sometimes does sms I would make that one my sms line? Thank you for your patience! Just want to make sure I get this right.

20. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

If you go into Settings--Messages, you can choose which line to use for iMessage and FaceTime Calls. That's the only line you can use for iMessage and FT (until you switch it).

I have my personal line set for that (and for data), and the work line (AT&T) is for phone calls and SMS only.

21. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thank you again for your patience!

So if I set my work line for phone calls...what if someone calls on my personal line? Sorry! Maybe I should go talk to apple tomorrow. Don’t want to drive you crazy!

22. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Both numbers will receive phone calls. However, if you are on your personal line and you get a phone call on your work line, it will go straight to voicemail. Call waiting doesn’t work between your two lines. You essentially have to choose which line you want to use for data, but both will receive phone calls. Only one number will be able to send and receive iMessages (the other line will just send and receive SMS). But that setting is independent of which line you use for data.

23. tl01 thread starter macrumors 68020

You are wonderfully helpful! Thank you! I think I have it sorted! Thank you!

24. cwosigns macrumors 68000

cwosigns

Glad to help!