HELP! early 2009 iMac potential problems?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bumzo1, Jan 17, 2012.

1. bumzo1, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

bumzo1 macrumors 6502a

I have an early 2009 24" iMac and my Apple care is about to run out in a little under 2 months. I've never had a problem with the iMac itself and have only used Apple Care to replace the KB/Mouse a few times. One thing I have noticed though is that the screen has some pretty severe screen burn in around the dock area, and some light text burnt in. I also noticed that it has the screen hum when the brightness is turned down. Its not bad but is noticeable. Are these things that I should have looked at before Apple care runs out? Are they going to get worse if I don't do anything about it? Anything else I should be weary of?

Thanks

2. bumzo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. bumzo1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm getting closer to the end of my Apple care so any help or opinions would be great. It would really unfortunate if it died a month or two after the AC ran out.

4. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I'd bring it in before your AppleCare expires. Worst they can say is no they won't fix it, but the best is they will attempt repairs and you'll get a new screen, or replacement iMac if it can't be fixed after a few attempts.

If you sit home with it, it's not going to get any better by itself.

5. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

The screen issues are very common, especially in that model. It isn't a sign that the display will die. The text burn in is called image persistence. I tell you guys that Apple doesn't know how to make a display, and yet no one believes me :p. It involves more than just sticking a panel in a box. You can take it in and ask if they'll replace it. If you argue with them, you'll probably get it. Like if they say the warranty won't cover those issues, ask them to point out the exclusion. I'll probably get flamed with an anecdotal response that someone else never had a problem, but I see this issue on many aging imacs.

6. littlebunnynose macrumors newbie

That buzzing noise could be due to a defective LED backlight board.

That was the recent diagnosis on my iMac. Part was replaced with a new one and now no buzzing sound whenever I change the display brightness.

7. camardelle macrumors 6502

If you've got warranty, get it to the store before it expires. That's what we buy AppleCare for, right?