Help! Easy Airport Network???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eRondeau, Dec 26, 2007.

1. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Okay so I've got an iBook G4 and a new iMac, both with Airport wireless.

What is the easiest way to set them up so they can talk to each other? Ideally I'd like to keep my iTunes library on the iMac and let the iBook access it. But I'd also like to be able to quickly send files back and forth between them.

I have some understanding of the concept of networking, but I can't seem to get the preferences and options set properly so it will happen.

Help!

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Do you have a wireless router, or would you prefer not to use one?

If you want to create an Ad-hoc wireless network between both your Macs (without a router) click on the airport icon in the menu bar and select "Create Network..."

Name it, and choose a channel (I also recommend using a password, but that is optional). Then on the other Mac you can join the network by selecting it from the airport icon.

3. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Then make sure that you set up what files they all can share, of course. I've seen people get frustrated because they forget to give other computers permissions to share certain files, when that was all they needed to do. I believe you can do that under System Preferences -> Sharing

4. eRondeau thread starter macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

Solved!

Thanks guys, with your help I've got it all figured out. I've even got iTunes on my iBook sharing my iMac's music library! Sweet! :apple: