HELP!! editable website from abroad software

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by thompsontwins, May 4, 2008.

1. thompsontwins macrumors newbie

Hello everybody!!!

Please help me out, I need to locate a (cheap) program that will allow less web skilled people edit text and images from a website on another computer.

I built a website using iWeb and Dreamweaver, now i want to allow my clients (parents) edit it from abroad.

Really appreciate the help!

2. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Unless you built the website with that in mind, it's going to probably require them having iWeb/Dreamweaver, downloading the files, changing them, then uploading them.

To get a website editable by other users, say from a back-end web form, you need to create some type of dynamically created system. A CMS would work (something like Drupal). I created my company site with php/mysql and built a back-end access to my boss could edit.

But I don't know how to do that with an already-created, standard html site.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Adobe Contribute is not super cheap, but it is exactly intended for editing Dreamweaver sites from a client machine, with little experience in HTML.

It does not require any server-side modifications. Just make the site in DreamWeaver, use Templates and Editable Areas, and the client buys and installs Contribute on their machine, and they can edit / add to whatever you have defined as Editable.

4. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Huh. I always wondered what Contribute was used for, but was too lazy to find out. That definitely sounds like the best solution in this case.

5. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure what skill level you have, mentioning iWeb, but look into something called web-edit pro. Its a web based system more similar to contribute than a cms system. If you can usderstand how to connect that to your site, it might be a cheeper alternative to Contribute. Also, as it is web based, the client can edit it from anywhere.

We've used it at work for a couple client sites that werent big/dynamic enough to need a full CMS, but needed the ability to edit a few static pages every once in a while.

6. ChicoWeb macrumors 65816

ChicoWeb

Sounds like you need a CMS, not web editing software, unless your parents are web gurus :)

7. thompsontwins thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey thanks InLikeALion I'll check-out Web-Edit Pro. Adobe Contribute is also an idea, i new id work out something eventually. Thanks forum answer! :cool:

8. tominated macrumors 68000

tominated

cushyCMS looks really good and crazy simple to use