HELP!!! Electric current (shock) from 27" 2011 iMac?!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by lil.Monster, Jul 5, 2011.

  1. lil.Monster macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 7, 2011
    Location:
    Australia
    #1
    HELP!! I am really worried, a few hours ago I was watching a DVD with headphones and suddenly the sound went funny, so I touched my iMac to see if there was something wrong with the static or something. As I did I go a shock, I touched it again and received the same shock, then I touched it for a few seconds and released it was actually a current (like electricity flowing through my Mac, not just static build up), I immediately turned it off (not with the power button because that shocked me too!!). After I turned it off I keep getting the same current through it until I turn the power off in the socket. It is definitely not static. I don't think it has anything to do with humidity either, or earthing because it was earthing fine until it just broke or something. I have also tried different power points but to no success...

    So what should I do? Should I be worried? Should I call apple? I just don't want it to explode and cause a fire!! Thank you!! :confused: :(
     
  2. Consultant macrumors G5

    Consultant

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2007
    #2
    A desktop computer don't have parts that can explode with any significant force. But contact Apple.
     
  3. lil.Monster thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 7, 2011
    Location:
    Australia
    #3
    Well, I know it won't explode but maybe emit smoke and then catch fire. I will wait overnight to see if it could just be something strange because one minute it wasn't shocking and the next it was so maybe it will reverse overnight... It's unplugged and everything so it shouldbe ok for now. And I still have my iPad. :(
     
  4. Gav2k macrumors G3

    Gav2k

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2009
    #4
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

    Is it plugged into an earthed socket?? If it isn't you will get shocked
     
  5. OptyCT macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2008
    #5
    There's a story about cows and electric fences. Typically, a farmer will energize the electric fence around his cow field only for the first day. Why? Because cows will make contact with it once, get shocked, and never touch it again. You got shocked multiple times. Just sayin' :D

    In all seriousness, there's probably a contact occurring between an energized part in the power supply and the aluminum case of the iMac. Aluminum is an excellent conductor. So much so that they use aluminum in power lines (most are copper, but aluminum is second). This isn't a problem that will fix itself. Get thee to the Apple Store.
     
  6. drambuie macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 16, 2010
    #6
    If you are getting a true electrical (not static) shock, it means that the case of the iMac is not grounded. Either there is a problem with the wiring in your home, or there is a problem with the iMac's line cord, or internal ground connection.
     
  7. VulchR macrumors 68020

    VulchR

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2009
    Location:
    Scotland
    #7
    Absolutely take the iMac to Apple to determine whether there is something wrong. If there isn't, I suggest hiring an electrician ASAP to determine whether your third prong of your electrical socket is properly grounded. You'd be amazed at how often they're not.
     
  8. chrono1081 macrumors 604

    chrono1081

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Location:
    Isla Nublar
    #8
    This!

    When I worked overseas people would get shocked all the time from the computers especially when touching things like the monitor cable or USB cables. It was due to shoddy electrical work in the buildings we were in since our buildings were older. The newer buildings didn't have a problem.
     
  9. eljanitor macrumors 6502

    eljanitor

    Joined:
    Feb 10, 2011
    #9
    Take it in to an Apple repair place and have them look at it, it shouldn't do that period.


    With the exception of any CRT monitor. eMac, old iMac before flat panel displays.
     
  10. lil.Monster thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 7, 2011
    Location:
    Australia
    #10
    Well it seems to have actually resolved itself overnight, I'm toching it and can no longer feel a tingle or buzz. They've been doing renovations in my house so maybe that was it? Or maybe aliens? Lol :p Not sure... If it starts to buzz again I'm just going to have to take it to apple.
    Thanks for everyone's advice! :D
     
  11. chrono1081 macrumors 604

    chrono1081

    Joined:
    Jan 26, 2008
    Location:
    Isla Nublar
    #11
    I'd still seriously suggest getting the electrical checked....
     
  12. OliverOSX93 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2010
    Location:
    Accrington
    #12
    My PB monitor did that in France. not sure why to this day (the base was ALU metal like an imac) It might be something to do with heat and constant static.
     

Share This Page