Help: eMac or IMac G4?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by clinetech, Oct 1, 2008.

1. clinetech macrumors newbie

clinetech

Hey everyone! I'm getting a used AIO :apple:, and I really am torn about which one to buy. Here are my options:

:apple: eMac G4 1.25GHz 512MB 40GB Combo and AirPort - $435 w/ Shipping
    :apple: iMac G4 1.25GHz 512MB 160GB SuperDrive - $450 w/ Shipping

See, I like the design of the eMac better, but the iMac has a x4 bigger hard drive, and the SuperDrive. Power Macs are NOT AN OPTION AT ALL. I'm trying to get away from the wiring mess in my room.

Also, I'm only in 7th grade, so it's not like I'm doing high-tech video editing or anything. I would however enjoy the ability to write DVDs of little movies and such that my friends and I make. The CD burner capability is a + too.

On the other hand, the eMac allows me to burn CDs, which is good but no DVDs. The hard drive is smaller, but x4 but I don't really use it a ton of space.

Continuing, I enjoy being able to go elsewhere with my Macs (like in my living room with my family on weekends), and still be able to access the internet. I really want a 1.25GHz+ AIO Mac with wireless, but I can't afford a 1.25GHz+ iBook with AirPort. Only the eMac would be able to get AirPort, but it is WAY TOO HEAVY!

Lastly, both machines include Mac OS X 10.4.11, which I plan to later upgrade to Leopard.

Let me know what you think, and offer ideas and new things to think about. I can do minor upgrades by myself, such as adding AirPort later on, but I want to know what you think. Thank you!

I :apple:'s!

2. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Being in 7th grade, I don't think you need a personal computer at all. When you enter 9/10 grade, then you should buy yourself a computer that you would be comfortable taking all the way through college. When you're that young, I just don't think you need a personal computer. And I'm not saying that as a crotchety old man jealous of young kids with nice things, I'm saying that as a 16 year old high school junior. Buy a computer in the beginning of high school and use it through college, or replace it in college when you need more power or you have a better idea of what you want to do with your life.

3. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

Go for the iMac. It's only ~30 more and it's loads better. LCD, bigger HD, SD. And it just looks cool. AP is able to be on the iMac. I got a Clamshell iBook for $500 in 7th grade btw. At the moment I have a G4 iMac. You'll like it better than an eMac. The iMac was always placed above the eMac, and now they're similar in price on your choice. Also, $400 for an eMac might be a bit high.

4. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

I would get the iMac also.

Enjoy which ever you get (and I'm sure you will). :D

5. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

6. iGrant macrumors 6502a

I agree, I would get the iMac and put a bigger hard drive if you want and max the ram. I would get the parts from Newegg. Let me know if you need help. I can show you exactly what to get to upgrade your iMac!

-iGrant

7. clinetech thread starter macrumors newbie

clinetech

I've changed my mind...

Hi everyone!

Thank you for your opinions and ideas! I really appreciate them. I did further researching, and perhaps I can wait another couple weeks to get more money saved up, to buy one of the following, which I am also torn about (OMG COMPUTER BUYING IS HAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!)

:apple: iMac G4, 1.25GHz/512MB/160GB/SD/17 inch/No APX/Speakers, Keyboard, & Mouse (~$454)

-- or --

:apple: iMac G5, 1.6GHz/512MB/80GB/Combo/17 inch/APX/Keyboard and Mouse (~$501)

With the iMac G4, I could save more useless junk, burn DVDs, and have high-quality pro speakers for watching movies. Although, I do find the iMac G4s kind of ugly.

With the iMac G5, I could still burn CDs, have a faster processor and be wireless, so I can move my Mac to be with my family in the living, for example, if we are all sitting together. Also, I think the iMac G5 is more stylish than the iMac G4.

I really am confused. :-( $501 is pretty much over my budget, but if I wait a while, or borrow some from a relative, I should be good. I can't spare any more! It also makes this decision confusing because having AirPort is important to me, but have a SuperDrive is too. Since I can't afford a iMac G5 with a SuperDrive, then what do I do??? Also, Mac of All Trades doesn't offer the option to upgrade to AirPort with the iMac G4, so that's not an option. I also really don't want to install it myself, and have to make two separate purchases with two separate companies. I beg you to offer me your opinions and ideas, this is WAY TOO MUCH TO HANDLE! I just don't know what I want, and I hate that feeling. ;-)

Thanks! Please reply!

8. 204467 macrumors 6502a

Seriously, I reiterate what I said in my previous post; you're in 7th grade, you don't need a computer of your own yet. Stop obsessing about it and enjoy your youth.

9. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

I would still get the G4. I think it's cute, but for you the G5 may be more practical. I know exactly how you feel. I was debating over the iBook or a PowerBook G3 when I was in 7th. Both were ~$500. I chose the iBook (maybe the PowerBook was a better choice). It really makes you feel excited, huh? Think how you would feel with either if it were there in your hands.

10. clinetech thread starter macrumors newbie

clinetech

Thank you AppleFan1997! I think I will go with the G5. Yes, it makes me REALLY EXCITED! :D:D:D When you said "Think how you would feel with either if it were there in your hands." I realized, either of them I would love. Thank you guys, and whoever said "7th graders don't need personal computers", it's not just mine, it's for family use, and I just buy our computers (because I know what are the best, Macs! and i have ownership (I'm a controlfreak, I guess)) so why don't you shut your gob and realize that I asked iMac G4 or iMac G5, not that I don't need one. And, yes I do, for schoolwork, games, etc.

Again, many thanks to AppleFan1997, and everyone else but the loudmouth poor loser. I appreciate your time and effort! :)

:apple: rocks!

11. Slippery Gimp macrumors member

jpmittens,

The poster wants a computer, not to be told he/she doesn't need one. How do you know?

12. zmttoxics macrumors 65816

zmttoxics

I have had a computer since Day 1 (Tandy Dinosaur Coloring Book anyone? :D). Grade 6 is when I started using Solaris and learning to use the Bourne Shell along with some HTML on a Sparc Station 5 (60MHz :p) and Grade 7 is when I got my first laptop (P1 166MHz + MMX and 4GB hard drive) where I put Mandrake 7.1 on it to start learning some C programming. I am now 21 and in my last year of Computer Engineering in school and my job title is UNIX/Linux/APPLE Systems Administrator.

Never too early and never too late to learn.

To the OP: I would prefer the G5 (g4s at that speed are still good, my girlfriends eMac is 1.25 and running Leopard fine). If you have to burn DVDs you can get an external USB burner for cheap.

13. iGrant macrumors 6502a

HAHAHA same for me almost, my first computer was an Apple II and I loved that computer, the green and black screen was great . . . I learned so much on that computer, I wish I still had it. I was 6 years old when I got that computer and I have been hooked ever since. Here is a short list of all the computers I have own in the closest order I can get:

Apple II
    Dell Dimension Desktop PIII
    Compaq Laptop P4 <- Worst computer I have ever owned
    3 Custom PCs that I built, two were AMD 64bit CPUs and one was AMD Athlon
    Commodore 64
    Power Mac G4 Cube
    Macintosh SE
    Sony Laptop PIII
    iBook G3
    iBook G4
    Macbook
    Power Mac G4 Digital Audio
    Power Mac Dual G5
    iMac G3
    iMac G3
    Dell Desktop P4
    Mac Mini G4
    Mac Mini Core Solo

I think that is all of them . . . I pretty sure it is.

-iGrant

14. applefan1997 macrumors 6502

You're very welcome!
    The G5 is a good choice too. It'll probably stay a bit current more longer. Where are you getting your computer from? eBay has a 17" 1.8GHz for $459+40 shipping. The iMac is a good computer in almost all forms. We got our first Apple when I was in 2nd grade (a old Performa). We got almost 20+ used Macs later.

15. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Agreed. I got my my iMac when I was in 8th Grade, and I got a Dell Dimension when I was 9. You have no idea about the OP's situation, and if you can't offer anything but criticism don't comment at all. Just my opinion.

@ OP- If I was in your shoes (god I wish I had $500:D) I would go with the G5, it's much faster then the G4. Although the wisest thing IMO, would be to find a cheep Core Duo iMac or Mini, so you will be able to run OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard). At present it does not appear likely that Apple will release a PPC version. You can probably find a early intel Mac for around $500-$550.

Don