Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
MacBook Air with Mavericks. I enabled FileVault and only get grey screen with turning gear under logo. Won't boot.

How do I fix this?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
At what point did this happen? When you turn on FV it reboots and starts the encryption... did that happen and did the encryption complete.

Try a command-r boot to recovery and see if the disk is visible from there in Disk Utility?

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
At what point did this happen? When you turn on FV it reboots and starts the encryption... did that happen and did the encryption complete.

Try a command-r boot to recovery and see if the disk is visible from there in Disk Utility?

I enabled FV and when I (later) went to reboot, it wouldn't. I have tried booting from the recovery disk and when I select the disk (it is visible in Disk Utility) and click file/decrypt, it looks like it is starting but the progress window says there is an error.

Frustrated.

----------

While booted on an external drive, I go into DiskUtil and right click on the mac drive and select "unlock". It is now mounted.

What can I do now to decrypt it so I can boot from that drive?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I enabled FV and when I (later) went to reboot, it wouldn't. I have tried booting from the recovery disk and when I select the disk (it is visible in Disk Utility) and click file/decrypt, it looks like it is starting but the progress window says there is an error.

Frustrated.

----------

While booted on an external drive, I go into DiskUtil and right click on the mac drive and select "unlock". It is now mounted.

What can I do now to decrypt it so I can boot from that drive?

In Disk Uitl look in the File menu and there is an UNencrypt option there.

pmcdn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2008
I can see the contents of the drive in Finder as it's not mounted. So how come I cannot boot from it??

Yeslek2000

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2011
I have a similar issue but cannot get it to boot in any mode - verbose, recovery etc

holding down alt/option key seems to half work - I see a cursor that I cant move but no menu bar or anything to click on: I left it almost 45mins hoping something would appear :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.