HELP! Enabled FileVault now won't boot.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pmcdn, Oct 1, 2014.

1. pmcdn macrumors regular

MacBook Air with Mavericks. I enabled FileVault and only get grey screen with turning gear under logo. Won't boot.

How do I fix this?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

At what point did this happen? When you turn on FV it reboots and starts the encryption... did that happen and did the encryption complete.

Try a command-r boot to recovery and see if the disk is visible from there in Disk Utility?

3. pmcdn thread starter macrumors regular

I enabled FV and when I (later) went to reboot, it wouldn't. I have tried booting from the recovery disk and when I select the disk (it is visible in Disk Utility) and click file/decrypt, it looks like it is starting but the progress window says there is an error.

Frustrated.

----------

While booted on an external drive, I go into DiskUtil and right click on the mac drive and select "unlock". It is now mounted.

What can I do now to decrypt it so I can boot from that drive?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

In Disk Uitl look in the File menu and there is an UNencrypt option there.

5. pmcdn thread starter macrumors regular

I can see the contents of the drive in Finder as it's not mounted. So how come I cannot boot from it??

6. Yeslek2000 macrumors newbie

I have a similar issue but cannot get it to boot in any mode - verbose, recovery etc

holding down alt/option key seems to half work - I see a cursor that I cant move but no menu bar or anything to click on: I left it almost 45mins hoping something would appear :(